Collision physics homework help

In summary, the problem involves a car and a truck colliding at an intersection, resulting in them locking together and traveling at a speed of 28 m/s at an angle of 38° north of east. The question asks for the initial speed of the car, assuming both vehicles have the same mass. To solve this, one can use the momentum equation and set up equations for the x and y directions, with the assumption that the final velocity in each direction is the sum of the initial velocities. After simplifying and solving, the initial speed of the car can be calculated.
tandoorichicken
A car heading north collides at an intersection with a truck heading east. If they lock togethr and travel at 28 m/s at 38° north of east just after the collision, how fast was the car initially traveling? Assume that the vehicles have the same mass.

Does this problem not depend on how fast the truck was traveling also?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does, but I think you can solve for it using dynamics once you have the right momentum equation set up.

I am not sure what you would do to set up for it though, but i think you would start with (m1 + m2)*vfx = m1*vix + m2 *v2x,

and do another one for the y-direction. Since mass is the same, I'd assume that final velocity in each direction is the initials in that direction added together, but i am not sure on that.

Not sure of the dynamics equation either, but I'd try that.

If I'm not mistaken, then the momentum in the y direction is going to be equal before and after the collision, so you can set up an equation like
M*vcar = 2M*28sin38

2M on the right side because the vehicles are the same mass... the M's cancel and you can solve for vcar.

Last edited:

Related to Collision physics homework help

1. What is collision physics?

Collision physics is the study of how objects interact with each other during a collision. It involves understanding the forces, energy, and momentum involved in a collision and how they affect the objects involved.

2. What are the types of collisions?

There are two types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, meaning the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together after the collision.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

Momentum is always conserved in a collision, meaning the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. This is because the forces involved in the collision are equal and opposite, canceling each other out and keeping the total momentum constant.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of objects after a collision?

The velocity of objects after a collision can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity before and after the collision, respectively. This equation can be solved for the velocities after the collision.

5. What real-life applications does collision physics have?

Collision physics has many real-life applications, such as in car crashes, sports, and engineering. Understanding the forces involved in a collision can help in designing safer cars and equipment for sports. It is also used in analyzing the effects of collisions in space, such as when satellites collide with each other.