Collision of two charged particles projeced in magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves two particles with mass m separated by a distance d in a uniform magnetic field. The velocity of each particle is given by v=qBd/m. The question asks at what instant the collision occurs when the coulomb force between the particles is switched off. The attempt at a solution involves finding the time t when each particle has completed a fraction of its circular path, with one solution giving t=πm/3qB and the other t=πm/6qB. Upon further investigation, it is determined that the particles will collide when each has completed 1/12 of its circular path.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

Two particles having mass m separated by a distance d is uniform magnetic field as shown in the figure . If v=qBd/m, at what instant does collision occur. The coulomb force between the particles is switched off.

Homework Equations

T=2πm/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

For the given velocity each particle travel in a circle with radius d, at instant of collision each has completed 1/6 of it circular path, so I got time t=πm/3qB, but the solution says t=πm/6qB. Can somebody tell me where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
carlyn medona said:

Homework Statement

Two particles having mass m separated by a distance d is uniform magnetic field as shown in the figure . If v=qBd/m, at what instant does collision occur. The coulomb force between the particles is switched off.

Homework Equations

T=2πm/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

For the given velocity each particle travel in a circle with radius d, at instant of collision each has completed 1/6 of it circular path, so I got time t=πm/3qB, but the solution says t=πm/6qB. Can somebody tell me where did I go wrong?
Can you please Upload the figure -- it is difficult to tell what is going on. Can you also provide more details about the problem (charges?, Field direction?), and show your detailed work? Thank you.

Sorry, I forgot that

Attachments

• 1512076740229493031971.jpg
    1512076740229493031971.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 407
I actually solved it, they would collide when each particle has completed 1/12 of its circular path

carlyn medona said:
I actually solved it
Great, because I'm not very good at reading upside-down figures. o0)

:smile:

Related to Collision of two charged particles projeced in magnetic field

1. What is a collision of two charged particles projected in a magnetic field?

A collision of two charged particles projected in a magnetic field is when two charged particles, such as electrons or protons, are moving towards each other in a magnetic field and interact with each other due to their electric charges and the magnetic force acting on them.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the collision of two charged particles?

A magnetic field can alter the trajectory of charged particles and cause them to move in a circular or helical path. This can change the direction and speed of the particles, ultimately affecting the outcome of the collision.

3. What factors influence the outcome of a collision of two charged particles in a magnetic field?

The speed and direction of the particles, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the charges of the particles all play a role in determining the outcome of the collision.

4. What are some practical applications of studying collisions of charged particles in a magnetic field?

Understanding collisions of charged particles in a magnetic field is important for various fields such as particle physics, nuclear energy, and astrophysics. It is also essential for the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and magnetic confinement fusion devices.

5. Are there any safety concerns when conducting experiments involving collisions of charged particles in a magnetic field?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when working with high-energy particles and strong magnetic fields. Proper precautions and safety protocols should be followed to ensure the well-being of researchers and the surrounding environment.