Coke In a Car: Pressure Problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the total pressure at a point halfway down a coke can that is being accelerated horizontally in a car. The can is a perfect cylinder with a radius of R and height of H, and contains a soda with density \rho. The initial pressure is P_o and the car accelerates with a value of A. The formula for determining the pressure is dependent on the point at which it is measured, and involves calculating the forces and acceleration in a vector fashion.
NotMrX
Suppose somebody put a coke can in the cup holder. The can is a perfect cylinder with radius R and height H. There is a very small airpocket since the can isn't completely full with a pressure, [tex]P_o[/tex]. The car accelerates horizonatlly with a value of A. The soda has a density of [tex]\rho[/tex]. What is the total pressure half way down the coke can?

Here is my attempt:

[tex]\SigmaF_x = mA = P_x*h*2R[/tex]
[tex]\SigmaF_y = 0 = P_o + \rho*g*/frac{H}{2} - P_y[/tex]
[tex]P=\sqrt{P_x^2 + P_y^2}[/tex]

Somethings seems wrong. Does anyone know a better way to do it? Or why this method is wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NotMrX said:
Suppose somebody put a coke can in the cup holder. The can is a perfect cylinder with radius R and height H. There is a very small airpocket since the can isn't completely full with a pressure, [tex]P_o[/tex]. The car accelerates horizonatlly with a value of A. The soda has a density of [tex]\rho[/tex]. What is the total pressure half way down the coke can?

Here is my attempt:

[tex]\SigmaF_x = mA = P_x*h*2R[/tex]
[tex]\SigmaF_y = 0 = P_o + \rho*g*/frac{H}{2} - P_y[/tex]
[tex]P=\sqrt{P_x^2 + P_y^2}[/tex]

Somethings seems wrong. Does anyone know a better way to do it? Or why this method is wrong?
It seems to me that the pressure is not uniform around the can. Where exactly are you measuring the pressure?

Without the acceleration, the pressure at a point h below the top is P0 + [itex]\rho gh[/itex]

Divide the can into discs of thickness dh and determine the force required to accelerate each disc. You can see that the pressure varies depending on the horizontal position.

AM

When a liquid accelerates there is a pressure differential in the direction of the acceleration.

Thanks I see what to do now.

[tex]A=\sqrt{A_x^2+A_y^2}[/tex]
[tex] P=P_o+A*\rho*\sqrt{(\frac{H}{2})^2+R^2}[/tex]

NotMrX said:
Thanks I see what to do now.

[tex]A=\sqrt{A_x^2+A_y^2}[/tex]
[tex] P=P_o+A*\rho*\sqrt{(\frac{H}{2})^2+R^2}[/tex]
The pressure depends on the point at which it is measured. The pressure on the side in the direction of acceleration would be less than the pressure on the other side. How does your formula show this?

The force on the contents is:

[tex]f = mA = \pi r^2\rho HA[/tex] where H is the height of the can.

This force is distributed over an area that is 1/2 the area of the cylinder.

If you slice the can vertically in planes parallel to the direction of acceleration, the maximum force is on the largest slice (middle) of width dx. That force would be:

[tex]f = dmA = \rho dVA = \rho 2rHdxA[/tex]

That force is distributed over area dxH so the maximum pressure due to acceleration is:

[tex]P = f/area = \rho 2rHdxA/dxH = \rho 2rA[/tex]

If you add that to the pressure in the can and weight of the liquid, the maximum pressure at a point h from the top is:

[tex]P = P_0 + \rho gh + \rho 2rA[/tex]

AM

That is a good way to do it. Your right that the formula I put out was wrong. I was about to fall asleep and then I realized that following revisions would have to be made. The idea i had was to make the axis along the vector resultant of the accelleration, A. Follow the line to the end of the can to give us distance d. The gives us the [tex]\rho*A*d[/tex] Then for the initial pressure if it is on the top edge it is just [tex]P_o+\rho*A_x*x[/tex] where x is the horizontal distance from the edge of the can. Similar methods could be used if the accelleration vector that is intersecting the center of the can hits the side instead of the top. I made this problem up and maybe it doesn't work out that well. The angle that the accelleration vector line makes with the horizontal is the arctangent of [tex]\frac{g}{a_x}[/tex]

Can you just add the pressure resulting form the horizontal and vertical accellerations together of do you have to find a new accelleration?

NotMrX said:
Can you just add the pressure resulting form the horizontal and vertical accellerations together of do you have to find a new accelleration?
What vertical acceleration is there?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What vertical acceleration is there?

AM

the gravity of earth, i mean the coke molecules feel gravity

It just seems like all the forces need to be computed in a vector fashion. Then see how far from edge of the can that the spot of question is following the vector resultant of the acceleration. Calculating the initial pressure at the edge of the can I don't think is to difficult. Does this make sense?

Related to Coke In a Car: Pressure Problem

What is the "Coke In a Car: Pressure Problem"?

The "Coke In a Car: Pressure Problem" refers to the phenomenon where a sealed can of Coke experiences an increase in pressure when left in a hot car, potentially causing the can to burst or explode.

Why does this happen?

This happens because the temperature inside the car increases, causing the air inside the can to expand and create pressure. As the pressure builds up, it can exceed the strength of the can and cause it to burst.

Is this dangerous?

Yes, this can be dangerous as the explosion of a pressurized can can cause injury or damage to objects in the surrounding area.

Can this happen with other carbonated drinks?

Yes, this can happen with any carbonated drink that is sealed in a container. The pressure build-up is not specific to Coke and can occur with any carbonated beverage.

How can I prevent this from happening?

To prevent this from happening, avoid leaving cans of carbonated drinks in hot cars for extended periods. If you must transport them in a car, keep them in a cooler or avoid leaving them in direct sunlight.