Coherence length and coherence time of light

In summary, monochromatic light with a wavelength of 500 nm and a frequency bandwidth of 6 x 10^11 Hz has a coherence length of 5 x 10^-4 m and a coherence time of 1.66 x 10^-12 s. The largest optical path length difference that would still produce observable interference fringes in an experiment with this light is less than the coherence length. Using Young's Double Slit Experiment may not be the best approach as it requires both beams to be coherent with each other.
Supertramp19

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light (λ = 500 nm) from a particular light source has a frequency
bandwidth Δν = 6 x 1011 Hz.

(a) What is the coherence length Δx and the coherence time Δt of this light?
(b) What is approximately the largest optical path length difference in an
interference experiment with this light, which would still give you observable
interference fringes? Make a sketch of such an experiment.

Homework Equations

Coherence length: Δx= cΔt
Δt=1/Δv
Path Difference: Δ=mλ=asinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I figured out that Δx=5*10^-4 m and Δt=1.66*10^-12 s. I don't really know how to use these to find the largest optical path length. I have the equation, λ... What else do I need to figure out. Would I be using Young's Double Slit Experiment? Thanks for the help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Supertramp19 said:

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light (λ = 500 nm) from a particular light source has a frequency
bandwidth Δν = 6 x 1011 Hz.

(a) What is the coherence length Δx and the coherence time Δt of this light?
(b) What is approximately the largest optical path length difference in an
interference experiment with this light, which would still give you observable
interference fringes? Make a sketch of such an experiment.

Homework Equations

Coherence length: Δx= cΔt
Δt=1/Δv
Path Difference: Δ=mλ=asinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I figured out that Δx=5*10^-4 m and Δt=1.66*10^-12 s. I don't really know how to use these to find the largest optical path length. I have the equation, λ... What else do I need to figure out. Would I be using Young's Double Slit Experiment? Thanks for the help. :)
I don't think your numbers line up with the equations you've given... looks like a simple error, but i would check them, shouldn't you calculate Δt first?

for the second part, think about splitting the beam of light in two then recombining... what do think will happen if the path length is greater than the coherence length

Though it could apply , I don't think Young's double slit experiment is the best answer here, as it requires the light through each slit is coherent with each other, which happpens by having the same source for both slits, though the effect is probably more noticeable with the limited frequency content.

Last edited:

Related to Coherence length and coherence time of light

1. What is the definition of coherence length and coherence time of light?

Coherence length is the distance over which a light wave maintains its phase relationship, while coherence time is the time over which the phase relationship is maintained. In other words, it is the measure of how well a light wave maintains its orderly pattern.

2. How are coherence length and coherence time related?

Coherence length and coherence time are inversely related, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases. This is because the longer a light wave maintains its phase relationship, the longer its coherence time will be and the shorter its coherence length will be.

3. What factors affect the coherence length and coherence time of light?

The coherence length and coherence time of light can be affected by factors such as the light source, the medium through which the light travels, and the distance the light travels. For example, a laser would have a longer coherence length and time compared to a light bulb.

4. Why are coherence length and coherence time important in optics and photonics?

Coherence length and coherence time are important in optics and photonics because they determine the ability of a light wave to interfere with itself, which is crucial in many applications such as holography and interferometry. Additionally, they also affect the resolution and quality of optical imaging systems.

5. How can coherence length and coherence time be measured?

Coherence length and coherence time can be measured using various techniques such as Michelson interferometry, Young's double-slit experiment, and Fabry-Perot interferometer. These techniques involve measuring the interference patterns of light waves to determine their coherence properties.