Coherence caused by superconductivity

In summary, coherence in superconductivity is the synchronized movement of electrons in a material, resulting in the absence of resistance and efficient conduction of electricity. This coherence is caused by the formation of Cooper pairs and is significant in creating strong magnetic fields. Coherence can be measured through various techniques and can be disrupted by factors such as temperature and impurities.
SpitfireAce
why do different probability waves synchronize into one coherent wave at low temperatures? I'd like to research this but I don't know what this effect is called. Also, what is the quantum mechanical explanation for why the resistance in a super-conductive metal drops down to 0? Is it that the wavelength of the coherent wave after synchronization becomes long enough to allow individual electrons to quantum teleport through the positive nuclei in their paths? That doesn't sound right to me because "individual" electrons would no longer be distinguishable after they synchronized their quantum states. Would this newly formed coherent wave still diffract around the nuclei and interfere with itself or does it just travel through the nuclei in a ghostly fashion. I suspect the answer is closer to the latter since it seems to me that diffraction would decrease the current. Any help or reference is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, what is the quantum mechanical explanation for why the resistance in a super-conductive metal drops down to 0?

As I understand it, electrons form pairs with collective integer spin. These therefore obey Bose-Einstein statistics rather than Fermi-Dirac statistics. The pairs thus are not scattered as they would be otherwise, and are free to flow without resistance.

"electrons form pairs with collective integer spin"
my question is why?

"The pairs thus are not scattered as they would be otherwise"
why do electrons with collective integer spin not get scattered by the nuclei? Is this tunneling or what?

SpitfireAce said:
my question is why?

To answer that, you need to understand the Cooper mechanism.

Electrons can form bound pairs under a "many-body" effect using the material as the "glue". In conventional superconductors, the lattice phonons provide such a glue in the sense that the positive ions and other conduction electrons in the solid provide an "overscreening", so that any kind of net attractive force will result in a bound state. Refer to page 739 of Ashcroft and Mermin.

"The pairs thus are not scattered as they would be otherwise"
why do electrons with collective integer spin not get scattered by the nuclei? Is this tunneling or what?

No, no tunneling, at least not in this case. When the pairs form composite boson AND condenses into the BE state, than this becomes the general property of ANY BE condensate such as superfluidity, etc. You now have what is known as "long-range coherence", in which the "pairs" are now described by, naively, a series of plane waves that can propagate throughout the solid. Thus, it is this long-range coherence that provides the supercurrent.

Zz.

SpitfireAce said:
my question is why?

because by building the Cooper-pairs electrons can reduse their energy. look at "Fermy - see - instability". to see the calculation look in any theoretical book about superconductivity

Related to Coherence caused by superconductivity

1. What is coherence in superconductivity?

Coherence in superconductivity refers to the property of a material where all the electrons in it behave in a synchronized manner, moving in the same direction with the same phase. This results in the absence of electrical resistance and the ability to conduct electricity without any loss of energy.

2. How does superconductivity cause coherence?

Superconductivity causes coherence through the formation of Cooper pairs, which are two electrons bound together by lattice vibrations. These Cooper pairs move in a coordinated manner, resulting in the coherent flow of electricity without any resistance.

3. What is the significance of coherence in superconductivity?

Coherence is significant in superconductivity because it allows for the flow of electricity without any loss of energy, making it highly efficient. This property also allows for the creation of strong magnetic fields, which have important applications in fields like medical imaging and particle accelerators.

4. How is coherence measured in superconductors?

Coherence in superconductors can be measured through various techniques such as measuring the critical temperature, critical magnetic field, and the London penetration depth. These measurements provide information about the degree of coherence and the strength of the superconductor.

5. Can coherence in superconductors be disrupted?

Yes, coherence in superconductors can be disrupted by factors such as high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, and impurities in the material. This can lead to a loss of superconductivity and the return of electrical resistance.