Coefficient of static friction?

In summary, the question asks for the coefficient of static friction between the car's wheels and the ground. However, the given information is insufficient to solve for this value. To find the force of static friction, the net force in the horizontal direction must be calculated using Newton's 2nd law. This can be done by setting the force of static friction equal to the force of air resistance and then solving for Ff. The normal force can be determined by applying Newton's first law in the vertical direction.
kselanders
I have this question that I am working on, I think I know the formula to figure it out, but I am not too sure. I just need some help explaining how to do it, what to figure out first. The rest I can obviously do myself. Thank you so much!

A 1450 kg car is towing a trailer of a mass of 454 kg. The force of air resistance on both vehicles is 7471 N (backwards). If the acceleration of both vehicles is 0.225 m/s^2, what is the coefficient of static friction for the wheels on the ground?

I think the formula is Ff=uFn
Is the Ff 7471N?
How do I figure out Fn?

Thank you in advance for anyone who helps me out

Physics news on Phys.org
This question will be moved to the Homework Help section. This problem is not worded correctly, as it should be asking for the force of static friction, not the coefficient of static friction. That is because the formula for static friction is not quite as you have noted...the formula should be Ff (the force of static friction) is less than or equal to uFn. Ff equals uFn only when the tires are about to slip with respect to the ground, and this cannot be determined without more information. Nevertheless, assuming that Ff does equal uFn, you have set it equal to the air resistance. If this was so, the car could not accelerate, because the net force in the horizontal direction would be zero. Use Newton's 2nd law in the horizontal direction to find Ff. Note that the friction force Ff must point in the direction opposite to the air resistance, that is, in the forward direction of the car-trailer's movement. The normal force can be determined by applying Newton's first law in the vertical direction.

Related to Coefficient of static friction?

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the force required to initiate movement between two surfaces in contact. It is denoted by the symbol μs and is dependent on the nature of the surfaces in contact.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction different from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction measures the force required to initiate movement between two surfaces, while the coefficient of kinetic friction measures the force required to maintain the movement between the surfaces. The coefficient of static friction is usually higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the surfaces together. It is also influenced by the temperature and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction measured?

The coefficient of static friction can be measured experimentally by gradually increasing the force applied to an object until it just begins to move. The coefficient can then be calculated by dividing this force by the weight of the object.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important in understanding the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It helps determine the maximum amount of force that can be applied before an object starts to move, which is essential in engineering and design. It also plays a crucial role in determining the efficiency and safety of many everyday activities, such as driving, walking, and sports.