Coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball

In summary, the professor says that if the CD of the ping pong ball is much larger than one, then it will go up in the air. This is backed up with reasoning and a diagram.
Dayton

Homework Statement

Y00J7Rb.png

This problem is from a homework assignment. The professor says that the the ping-pong ball will go up if the cd = 0 and will go down if the cd is much larger than one. Is this logic correct? I keep thinking about how if an aerodynamic car is pushed by wind, the car with the larger cd will go be pushed harder.

Homework Equations

2584a12584dcea216e766c4bbcb514eb.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic is sound: the answer supplied is incorrect

Your logic is sound and the answer that you wrote down is backwards from correct. You might have copies it wrong, or your professor might have written it down incorrectly from his notes.

Here's how to see that if C[itex]_{d}[/itex] = 0, the ball drops.

The ball accelerates in the direction of the net force.

There is a downward force from gravity. The upward force is the "drag" because drag is the force from air on an object.

Rearranging your equation, F[itex]_{d}[/itex] = ρv[itex]^{2}[/itex]AC[itex]_{d}[/itex]/2.

The net force is F[itex]_{d}[/itex] - mg, upward.

If C[itex]_{d}[/itex] is 0, then F[itex]_{d}[/itex] is also 0, and the ball has acceleration of -mg. Gravity is the only force acting on the ball.

Clearly, when C[itex]_{d}[/itex] is very large, then F[itex]_{d}[/itex] is also very large and the ball is pushes upwards to infinity (and beyond.)

Hope this helps.

Dr Peter Vaughan
BASIS Peoria Physics

Likes 1 person
Thanks

Ok, I thought that that reasoning was correct.

My professor replied with this when I emailed to ask if my car analogy was correct:

Just think a little bit simpler, if you have two objects that
has strong friction between them then it will hard to move
one of the object. In this case, CD >> 1.

If you do not have friction (CD = 0), then it will be
very easy to move it. In this case, Fd = mg = Cd*0.5*v*v*Area
if CD = 0, area is not zero, then v must be super larger
because mg is not zero. The ping pong ball will fly to infinite!

I just want to be sure if my logic was correct before I ask him about it again.

He seems to be referring to "drag" as a force that is additional to the blow dryer force and pointing downward. That is not my (nor your) interpretation. My advice: draw two free body diagrams: one with gravity down and "drag from vacuum cleaner" going up, and another with "force from vacuum cleaner" upwards and BOTH gravity and drag down. Ask him which one is correct. Than you'll know both what the problem is asking, and how to solve it.

Dr Peter Vaughan
BASIS Peoria Physics

Likes 1 person

The coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball refers to the measure of its resistance to air flow as it moves through the air. It is affected by factors such as the shape, size, and surface smoothness of the ball. The professor's statement that a ping pong ball will go up if the coefficient of drag is 0 and down if it is larger than 1 is not entirely accurate. The coefficient of drag alone cannot determine the direction of the ball's movement. Other factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance must also be considered.

Additionally, the comparison to an aerodynamic car being pushed by wind is not directly applicable to a ping pong ball. The size and weight of a car, as well as its design, greatly impact its movement when pushed by wind. A ping pong ball, on the other hand, is much smaller and lighter, and its movement is influenced by different factors.

To fully understand the behavior of a ping pong ball in air, it is important to consider all the relevant factors and not rely solely on the coefficient of drag. Further experimentation and analysis would be necessary to accurately predict the direction of the ball's movement.

Related to Coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball

What is the coefficient of drag?

The coefficient of drag is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is typically denoted as Cd and is a measure of how streamlined or aerodynamic an object is.

How is the coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball measured?

The coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball can be measured through wind tunnel experiments or computational fluid dynamics simulations. In these experiments, the drag force on the ball is measured at different velocities and the coefficient of drag is calculated using the drag equation.

What factors affect the coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball?

The shape, size, and surface texture of the ping pong ball can affect its coefficient of drag. A smoother and more streamlined ball will have a lower coefficient of drag compared to a rough and irregularly shaped ball. The density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through also play a role in determining the coefficient of drag.

What is the typical range of the coefficient of drag for a ping pong ball?

The coefficient of drag for a ping pong ball can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, but it generally falls between 0.3 to 0.5. This is relatively high compared to other streamlined objects like airplanes or cars, which have coefficients of drag closer to 0.01.

How does the coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball affect its motion?

The coefficient of drag of a ping pong ball determines the amount of air resistance it experiences while in motion. A higher coefficient of drag means the ball will experience more resistance and slow down more quickly. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of drag allows the ball to travel further and faster. This is why professional players often choose balls with a lower coefficient of drag for increased speed and distance in their shots.