Coaxial cable with unequal currents

The enclosed current is indeed equal to +10[mA] (100-90[mA]). In summary, the question is about an unbalanced coaxial cable with an inner current of +100[mA] and an outer current of 90[mA] in the opposite direction. The problem involves using Ampere's Law and the left side of the equation simplifies to 2∏ρ*BФ(ρ). The question is about the correct value for the enclosed current, which is +10[mA].
satchmo05
1. Homework Statement
I just have a question concerning an unbalanced coaxial cable. By unbalanced, I mean that the inner and outer currents are not equal magnitudes of the opposite direction of each other. My homework problem has an inner current of +100[mA] and an outer current of 90[mA] in the opposite direction. My question is regarding the form of the answer.

2. Homework Equations
Cylindrically symmetric current distribution - able to use Ampere's Law here!
Bdl = μo*Ienc

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Implementing the cylindrically symmetric current distribution, the left side of the equation ends up being:
2∏ρ*BФ(ρ) = ...
However, the right side of the equation is where I am having trouble. Would the enclosed current be equal to +10[mA] (100-90[mA]), or something else? An enclosed current of 10[mA] to me makes sense, because if I were an observer looking at the cable, I would only see a magnetic field rotating in the phi-direction, with a current of 10[mA] flowing up the z-axis. I appreciate all help in advance! Thank you much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

Related to Coaxial cable with unequal currents

1. What is a coaxial cable with unequal currents?

A coaxial cable with unequal currents is a type of electrical cable that consists of two conductors: a central wire surrounded by a cylindrical metal shield. The two conductors carry equal and opposite currents, which cancel out any external electromagnetic interference.

2. How does a coaxial cable with unequal currents work?

The unequal currents in a coaxial cable create an electromagnetic field that is confined to the space between the two conductors. This effectively shields the inner conductor from external electrical interference, making the signal transmission more reliable and efficient.

3. What are the advantages of using a coaxial cable with unequal currents?

Coaxial cables with unequal currents have several advantages, including low signal loss, high bandwidth, and strong resistance to external interference. They are also relatively easy to install and can transmit signals over long distances without significant degradation.

4. In what applications are coaxial cables with unequal currents commonly used?

Coaxial cables with unequal currents are commonly used in telecommunications, cable television, and computer networking systems. They are also used in high-frequency applications, such as radio frequency transmission and medical imaging.

5. Can a coaxial cable with unequal currents be used for both analog and digital signals?

Yes, a coaxial cable with unequal currents can be used for both analog and digital signals. The cable's design allows for a wide range of frequencies to be transmitted, making it suitable for various types of signals. However, the cable's performance may be affected by the signal type and the quality of the cable itself.