Coaxial cable and magnetic field

In summary: And if you need the magnetic field to be strong and uniform inside the solenoid, you might switch to a solenoid geometry, just because it is easier to make many turns than to wind in and out of a large number of layers of wire in a cable. (There are trade-offs, of course...).In summary, in this problem, a coaxial cable is carrying a current that forms magnetic field loops around itself. Using Ampere's Law and the symmetry of the cable, we can find the net current enclosed by a circular "Amperian loop" of radius 0.3 meters to be 3 times the current in one component of the cable. This results in a reference current of approximately
scholio

Homework Statement

a coaxial cable carries current as follows: (see attachment)

at point P, 0.3 meters from the central axis, the magnetic field is 0.005 Teslas, what is current, I?

Homework Equations

magnetic field solenoid, B = mu_0(n)I where mu_) is constant = 4pi*10^-7, n is number of coils/turns, I is current

magnetic field, Biot-Savart, B = mu_0/4pi([integral(IdL/r^2)]) where dL is change in length, r is radius

The Attempt at a Solution

should i assume that the coaxial cable is a solenoid? i am doubtful because the equation does not involve radius, which i am supposed to involve to solve for I.

i'm sure I'm supposed to use the biot-savart equation, do i assum dL remains constant? how do the involve the two different currents going in opposite directions?

my initial plan was to set up three biot-savart equations, one using the center conductor, the other using the outer conductor. i would then equate the sum of them two, to the third which would use r = 0.3 meters.

i think it may work except, i do not know how to differentiate the different radius of the center/outer conductors.

help appreciated

Attachments

• cox.JPG
    cox.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 662
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment hasn't been cleared yet, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the distance 0.3 m puts point P outside the cable. You want to use Ampere's Law for this problem, since the current in the cable will be entirely "enclosed" by a circular "Amperian loop" of radius 0.3 m. (You could use the Biot-Savart Law, but it's sort of excessive. And, no, a cable does not act like a solenoid. The cable will form magnetic field loops around itself, while a solenoid is a sort of "stack of current rings" and produces a magnetic field running down the axis of the solenoid -- it is a magnetic analogue of the electric field within a parallel-plate capacitor.)

Since the cable has symmetry along its axis, you don't need to know the distribution of current as a function of radius within the components of the coaxial cable. There is a theorem (analogous to the one for a spherically symmetric distribution of charge) that the magnetic field outside an axially symmetric current flow is the same as if the entire current were flowing along the axis. So you can just sum the two currents (as vectors) in the "co-ax" and place them on the axis of the cable, a distance 0.3 meters from point P. (If the flow in each part of the cable were equal and opposite, the net current would be zero and the magnetic field outside the cable would also be zero.)

Last edited:
you are correct, point P is outside the coaxial cable.

i have started with ampere's law , [closed integral(B dr)] = mu_0(I_encircled) = 2pi(r)B, now this is where i get confused:
based on "(If the flow in each part of the cable were equal and opposite, the net current would be zero and the magnetic field outside the cable would also be zero.)" , is the net current equal to +I - 4I = -3I?

also i use B = 2pi(r)/mu_0(I_encirc) where B = 0.005 Teslas, r = 0.3, I_encirc = -3I, mu_ 0 = 4pi*10^-7, what am i solving for?

am i missing something, where does the I am solving for come into play, i don't see it in the ampere's law i tried?

cheers

In Ampere's Law, the I_enc is the net current "enclosed" by the 0.3 meter circle (in your problem). So in your set-up, you will be solving for I_enc, which has a magnitude of 3I here (you can deal with the sign later).

Upon finding I, you would then assign its value in one direction to the component of the cable carrying +I and 4I pointing in the opposite direction to the other component.

oh so i solve for the I in 3I, correct?

so:

B = 2pi(r)/mu_0(I_encirc)
0.005 = 2pi(0.3)/((4pi*10^-7)(3I))
I = 2pi(0.3)/((4pi*10^-7)(3)(0.005)) = 1.885/(1.885*10^-8) = 1*10^8 ampere

" Upon finding I, you would then assign its value in one direction to the component of the cable carrying +I and 4I pointing in the opposite direction to the other component. "
--->so +I - 4I = -3I = 3(1*10^8) = -3*10^8 ampere

is that what you meant, dynamicsolo?

scholio said:
oh so i solve for the I in 3I, correct?

so:

B = 2pi(r)/mu_0(I_encirc)

You had written Ampere's Law correctly [ mu_0(I_encircled) = 2pi(r)B ], so I didn't comment on your expression for B at the time. But I think you mean

B = mu_0·(I_encirc)/[2·(pi)·r]

or

I_enc = 3I = [ 2·(pi)·r·B ]/mu_0 .

You should get a pretty big current, but not quite as whopping as you found...

Last edited:
oh okay, i revised my calculations using the correct equations you supplied.

I_enc = 3I = [ 2·(pi)·r·B ]/mu_0

3I = (2pi)(0.3)(0.005)/(4pi*10^-7)

I = 0.0094/3.77*10^-6 = 2494.03 ampere

since +I - 4I = - 3I = -3(2494.03) = -7492.09 ampere

is that a "pretty big" yet not "whopping" current i should be getting?

Much better -- please be careful to watch your algebra...

So you get a reference current of I close to 2500 A , making the current in the other cable component 4I or about 10,000 A in the opposite direction.

This gives you an idea of what a weak force magnetism is. Point P is only 0.3 meters (about a foot) away from a net current of 7500 A, and a field of only 5 millitelsas is observed there (or 50 gauss -- around a hundred times stronger than Earth's magnetic field, but not all that large compared to a lot of electromagnets...).

Last edited:
dynamicsolo said:
This gives you an idea of what a weak force magnetism is.

And it explains why people go to the trouble of making hundreds of windings in electromagnets and motors, in order to get the required current down to a reasonable level.

Related to Coaxial cable and magnetic field

1. What is a coaxial cable and how does it work?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable consisting of two conductors separated by a dielectric material and enclosed in a protective outer layer. The inner conductor carries the signal while the outer conductor acts as a shield to reduce interference. The dielectric material helps to maintain a constant electrical field within the cable, allowing for efficient transmission of signals.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a coaxial cable?

A magnetic field can cause interference in a coaxial cable by inducing an electrical current in the outer conductor. This can disrupt the transmission of signals and result in poor quality or loss of the signal. The strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the cable and the source of the field can impact the level of interference.

3. How can I reduce the impact of a magnetic field on a coaxial cable?

One way to reduce the impact of a magnetic field on a coaxial cable is to use proper grounding techniques. Grounding the outer conductor of the cable can help to dissipate any induced currents and reduce interference. Additionally, using high-quality, shielded coaxial cable and avoiding running it parallel to other cables or near sources of strong magnetic fields can also help to minimize interference.

4. What is the difference between an electromagnetic field and a magnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a combination of an electric field and a magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other and travel together through space. A magnetic field, on the other hand, is produced by the movement of electric charges and can exist on its own without an accompanying electric field. In the context of coaxial cable, both electromagnetic and magnetic fields can cause interference, but magnetic fields are typically of greater concern.

5. Can a coaxial cable be affected by a magnetic field from a household appliance?

Yes, a coaxial cable can be affected by a magnetic field from a household appliance, especially if the appliance is in close proximity to the cable. Common household appliances such as refrigerators, microwave ovens, and televisions can all produce magnetic fields that may interfere with the transmission of signals through a coaxial cable. It is important to consider the placement of these appliances when setting up a coaxial cable network.