Coalesce of mercury dropssix at different potential

In summary, the final potential of the six mercury drops is +6 volts, while the final potential of the two other drops is -6 volts.
AMRIT GAUTAM
Six mercury drops of equal size given potential of +3v and two other drops are given -3v potential. If they coalesce what is final potential

This question had been eating my brain i know solution if they are given same potential but what to do when they have different potential

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

If you can work the problem for the case where all 8 drops initially have the same potential, then you should find that it's not much harder to deal with the case of different initial potentials.

Can you show how you get the answer when all 8 drops have the same initial potential?

Last edited:
TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

If you can work the problem for the case where all 6 drops initially have the same potential, then you should find that it's not much harder to deal with the case of different initial potentials.

Can you show how you get the answer when all 6 drops have the same initial potential?
Um i solve it using formula
V=n^(2/3) vs where n is no of drops and vs is potential of each drop but it works for condition when all are provided same potential

Do you understand how to derive the formula V = n2/3 vs for equal initial potentials?

If so, then you can use essentially the same method of derivation to get the result for unequal initial potentials.

If not, my hint would be to consider how the charge on a spherical drop is related to the potential and radius of the drop.

TSny said:
Do you understand how to derive the formula V = n2/3 vs for equal initial potentials?

If so, then you can use essentially the same method of derivation to get the result for unequal initial potentials.

If not, my hint would be to consider how the charge on a spherical drop is related to the potential and radius of the drop.
I know but this methode only useful for similar charge only searched whole internet can't find right answer. All links leads to same potential problem only i tried it myself bt couldnt

Thank you guys for idea
Finally solved it first used formula 4/3 pi R^3= n 4/3 pi r ^3
Which gave R= n^(1/3)r ...(1)
And potential V= k Q/R ...(2)
where Q = 6q-2q since they are provided potential of different sign
And gave
Combining 1 and 2 and puting value of Q and n =8
I came up with answer 6 volts

Looks good!

Related to Coalesce of mercury dropssix at different potential

What is "Coalesce of mercury drops at different potential"?

"Coalesce of mercury drops at different potential" refers to the process of two or more mercury drops coming together to form a larger drop when exposed to an electric field or varying voltage.

What is the significance of studying the coalescence of mercury drops at different potential?

Studying the coalescence of mercury drops at different potential can provide insights into the behavior of liquid metals under electric fields, which is important in fields such as materials science and electrochemistry.

How does the potential affect the coalescence of mercury drops?

The potential, or voltage, applied to the mercury drops affects the magnitude of the electric field surrounding them. This electric field can cause the drops to attract and merge together, leading to coalescence.

What are the factors that influence the coalescence of mercury drops at different potential?

The coalescence of mercury drops at different potential can be influenced by factors such as the size and shape of the drops, the surface tension of the mercury, and the presence of impurities or other substances in the surrounding environment.

What are the potential applications of understanding the coalescence of mercury drops at different potential?

Understanding the coalescence of mercury drops at different potential can have practical applications in fields such as microfluidics, where controlling the merging of liquid droplets is important for various processes and technologies.