Co-efficient of friction of a uniform ladder leaned on rough wall

In summary: You're right, the friction is in the opposite direction, F(towards the wall direction). Can you please help me to evaluate μ?? I'm pretty overwhelmed with the no. of equations. I need to get μ=√5-2.P.S. I'm not quite sure how to transfer this post to the Introductory Physics area...I'm a rookie in forums, sorry.
nvjnj

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of weight (W) is leaned across a rough wall and on a rough floor. The reaction at the wall is (S) with frictional force (G)(upward direction) while the reaction at the floor is (R) with frictional force (F)(away from the wall direction). Frictional forces are taken to be limiting and the ladder is in equilibrium. The ladder's top is 4m above the ground while its foot is 2m away from the wall. Assuming that the coefficient of friction is same at the wall and the ground, calculate the coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

No equations specified, guessing F=ma, Moments equilibria and F=μR

The Attempt at a Solution

R(upwards) : R+G=W.........(1)
R(away from wall) : S=F........(2)
Moments(about foot) : 4S+2G=W......(3)
Moments(about top of ladder) : W+4F=2R...(4)
F=μR............(5)
G=μS............(6)

I may/may not have 6 independent equations to arrive at the solution so best not to consider them, but please do point out the errors, i can't seem to calculate μ with all these equations
(Answer μ=(√5)-1 )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Divide all forces into components through the center of mass of the ladder and perpendicular?
You are making people guess what all those letters stand for.

nvjnj said:

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of weight (W) is leaned across a rough wall and on a rough floor. The reaction at the wall is (S) with frictional force (G)(upward direction) while the reaction at the floor is (R) with frictional force (F)(away from the wall direction). Frictional forces are taken to be limiting and the ladder is in equilibrium. The ladder's top is 4m above the ground while its foot is 2m away from the wall. Assuming that the coefficient of friction is same at the wall and the ground, calculate the coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

No equations specified, guessing F=ma, Moments equilibria and F=μR

The Attempt at a Solution

R(upwards) : R+G=W.........(1)
R(away from wall) : S=F........(2)
Moments(about foot) : 4S+2G=W......(3)
Moments(about top of ladder) : W+4F=2R...(4)
F=μR............(5)
G=μS............(6)

I may/may not have 6 independent equations to arrive at the solution so best not to consider them, but please do point out the errors, i can't seem to calculate μ with all these equations
(Answer μ=(√5)-1 )

Hi nvjnj, welcome to PF.

Your thread would fit better to the sub-forum "Introductory Physics"

The problem text says that F, the friction force from the wall points away from the wall. That can not be true, and your equations correspond to the correct orientation.
It is enough one equation for the momenta. If the momentum is zero with respect to a point of the ladder, it will be zero with respect to other points of it.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Quote by ehild

Hi nvjnj, welcome to PF.

Your thread would fit better to the sub-forum "Introductory Physics"

The problem text says that F, the friction force from the wall points away from the wall. That can not be true, and your equations correspond to the correct orientation.
It is enough one equation for the momenta. If the momentum is zero with respect to a point of the ladder, it will be zero with respect to other points of it.

ehild

You're right, the friction is in the opposite direction, F(towards the wall direction). Can you please help me to evaluate μ?? I'm pretty overwhelmed with the no. of equations. I need to get μ=√5-2.

P.S. I'm not quite sure how to transfer this post to the into. physics area...I'm a rookie in forums, sry.

Hey guys, thanks for all your effort, i got the answer just now so ignore the last post. I figured I was just going around substituting without a clear aim on getting μ.

Thanks @ehild for pointing out that two momenta equations were unnecessary, helped a great deal.

nvjnj said:
Hey guys, thanks for all your effort, i got the answer just now so ignore the last post. I figured I was just going around substituting without a clear aim on getting μ.

Thanks @ehild for pointing out that two momenta equations were unnecessary, helped a great deal.

You are welcome. :smile:

ehild

Related to Co-efficient of friction of a uniform ladder leaned on rough wall

1. What is the co-efficient of friction?

The co-efficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance a surface exerts when an object moves across it. It is represented by the Greek letter μ (mu) and is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1.

2. How is the co-efficient of friction calculated?

The co-efficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object across a surface by the weight of the object. This value is then compared to the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on the object.

3. What factors affect the co-efficient of friction?

The co-efficient of friction can be affected by various factors, such as the smoothness of the surface, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or particles on the surface. Additionally, the type of material the object and surface are made of can also impact the co-efficient of friction.

4. How does the roughness of a wall affect the co-efficient of friction of a ladder?

The roughness of a wall can significantly impact the co-efficient of friction of a ladder leaned against it. A rougher surface will typically have a higher co-efficient of friction, meaning that the ladder will be less likely to slip or slide down the wall. On the other hand, a smoother surface will have a lower co-efficient of friction, increasing the likelihood of the ladder slipping.

5. How does the angle of the ladder affect the co-efficient of friction?

The angle at which the ladder is leaned against the wall can affect the co-efficient of friction. As the angle increases, the normal force between the ladder and the wall decreases, resulting in a lower co-efficient of friction. This means that the ladder may be more likely to slip or slide down the wall at steeper angles.