CMOS Sensor Process: .50um & .35um Explained

In summary, the two sensors have different process dimensions, but that doesn't really matter as a user.
nbo10
If I'm talking to someone about cmos sensors and they tell me one sensor is made in the .50um process (circa 2000) and the other sensor is made in the .35um process (circa 2004).

What are they tell me about the cmos sensor? Are there any good books on manufacturing cmos sensors?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
nbo10 said:
If I'm talking to someone about cmos sensors and they tell me one sensor is made in the .50um process (circa 2000) and the other sensor is made in the .35um process (circa 2004).

What are they tell me about the cmos sensor? Are there any good books on manufacturing cmos sensors?

thanks

Are these CMOS image sensors? Or some other kind of sensor?

Yeah, those are definitely pretty big geometries by today's standards. Current processes for mixed signal ICs are more like 0.18u, 0.13u and 90nm.

berkeman said:
Are these CMOS image sensors? Or some other kind of sensor?

Yeah, those are definitely pretty big geometries by today's standards. Current processes for mixed signal ICs are more like 0.18u, 0.13u and 90nm.

Yes they are image sensors.

Ah, that's different. No wonder they are using larger geometries. Here's an interesting article that I found by googling image sensor IC design:

http://chipdesignmag.com/display.php?articleId=2175&issueId=27

That magazine also looks to be a good resource for IC design information.

And a search at Amazon.com on Image Sensor Design gave some very good hits:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?...eywords=image+sensor+design&tag=pfamazon01-20

nbo10 said:

thanks

The process feature size doesn't tell you much. In general the per wafer cost for 0.5 um will be lower than 0.35 um. So for the same pixel pitch and number of pixels the 0.5 um chip cost might be lower. Then again if the 0.5 um is 6" wafer and 0.35 um is 8" wafer the latter may be cheaper.

The 0.35 um will probably have higher fill factor for a given size pixel, meaning the light collecting area will be a higher percentage of the pixel area. But that may not matter if the 0.5 um has microlenses.

The 0.35 um may have a longer stay in production but maybe not.

It doesn't hurt to know the process feature size but it really doesn't matter much as a user. You should focus on specs you care about: number of pixels, fill factor, noise floor(directly affects the minimum amount of light you can sense), full well capacity (the maximum amount of light generated signal the pixel can measure, linearity, pixel to pixel response uniformity, etc. Also one chip may have functions outside the pixels that you care about such as pixel output rate, digital or analog output, on-chip processing, power dissipation, cost etc.

The CMOS sensor manufacturing is basic CMOS process plus a photodiode "module" (some extra processing steps). So you can look at books that talk about CMOS processing to get a good idea. The photodiode is similar to other diodes but will have its parameters tweaked (depth, doping level) and possibly covered with an optical filter or lens. The substrate material (or probably the epitaxial material on top) will probably have a tighter specification as well to limit the detector dark current.

What dimension is the the 0.5 or 0.35 um referring to? Thanks

nbo10 said:
What dimension is the the 0.5 or 0.35 um referring to? Thanks

It generally refers to the smallest feature that can be drawn/fabricated using that process. Although there are variations on the number, depending on certain things. Here's an example explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65_nanometer

Related to CMOS Sensor Process: .50um & .35um Explained

1. What is a CMOS sensor?

A CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) sensor is a type of image sensor used in digital cameras and other electronic devices. It converts light into electrical signals, allowing for the capture of digital images.

2. What does .50um and .35um refer to in the CMOS sensor process?

.50um and .35um refer to the size of the transistors used in the CMOS sensor manufacturing process. These measurements represent the width of the transistor gate, which affects the sensitivity and resolution of the sensor.

3. What is the difference between .50um and .35um CMOS sensors?

The main difference between .50um and .35um CMOS sensors is the size of the transistors. A .35um sensor has smaller transistors, allowing for a higher resolution and better sensitivity to light compared to a .50um sensor. This makes the .35um sensor more suitable for high-end digital cameras and other devices that require high-quality images.

4. How does the CMOS sensor process work?

The CMOS sensor process involves creating a thin film of silicon on a wafer, which is then patterned and etched to create transistors, wiring, and other necessary components. This is followed by a series of steps, including doping, deposition, and lithography, to create the sensor's pixel array and other features. Finally, the sensor is packaged and tested before being used in electronic devices.

5. What are the benefits of using CMOS sensors?

CMOS sensors offer several benefits, including low power consumption, high-speed operation, and lower cost compared to other types of image sensors. They also have a high dynamic range, allowing for the capture of both bright and dark areas in an image. Additionally, CMOS sensors can be integrated with other electronic components on a single chip, making them versatile and suitable for a wide range of applications.