Closest Approach of Alpha Particle & Gold Nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance of closest approach between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus in Rutherford's scattering experiments. The equation -ke^2/r=1/2mv^2 is used, with the electric potential energy and initial kinetic energy set equal to each other. The value for K is substituted and the resulting radius may not correspond to the distance between the two charges. The conversion of kinetic energy to Joules is important, and the charges of the alpha particle and gold nucleus should be factored in.
map7s
In Rutherford's scattering experiments, alpha particles (charge = +2e) were fired at a gold foil. Consider an alpha particle with an initial kinetic energy K heading directly for the nucleus of a gold atom (charge = +79e). The alpha particle will come to rest when all its initial kinetic energy has been converted to electrical potential energy. Find the distance of closest approach between the alpha particle and the gold nucleus for the case K = 3.4 MeV.

I first set up the equation as -ke^2/r=1/2mv^2, with the first part of the equation as the electric potential energy and the second part as the initial kinetic energy set equal to each other. then I substituted the value given for K for the 1/2 mv^2 part. however when I solved, I got the radius and I am pretty sure that that value does not correspond to the distance between the two charges. also, I am not sure how to factor in the two charges - should I add them together and use that number?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical potential energy is k.q1.q2/r.

oh...okay...so would I still be solving for r, even though that's supposed to be the radius or is there another equation that I am forgetting?

oh...okay...so would I still be solving for r, even though that's supposed to be the radius or is there another equation that I am forgetting?
Yes, you are solving for r. Are you remembering to convert your kinetic energy into Joules? (check the units)
I
am not sure how to factor in the two charges - should I add them together and use that number?
If you have a charge of +79e, that means 79*(1.602x10^-19 C).

Related to Closest Approach of Alpha Particle & Gold Nucleus

What is the closest approach of an alpha particle to a gold nucleus?

The closest approach of an alpha particle to a gold nucleus is the distance at which the two particles are closest to each other during a collision. This distance is dependent on the energy of the alpha particle and the size of the gold nucleus.

What happens during the closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus?

During the closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus, there is a strong electrostatic repulsion between the two particles due to their positive charges. This can cause the alpha particle to be deflected or even bounce off the gold nucleus.

How do scientists measure the closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus?

Scientists measure the closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus by using a device called a particle accelerator. This machine accelerates the alpha particles towards the gold nucleus and records the distance at which the particles interact.

Why is the closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus important?

The closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus is important because it helps scientists understand the structure of atoms and the forces that hold them together. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and medical imaging.

What factors affect the closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus?

The closest approach of an alpha particle and a gold nucleus is affected by several factors including the energy and speed of the alpha particle, the size and charge of the gold nucleus, and any intervening particles or fields that may affect their interaction.