Closed form chains of derivatives

In summary, the author suggests that it is possible to compute the nth derivative of a function without known the n-1st. However, this can be done using a series or integral representation.
mathbalarka
A recent post of chisigma rings me the bell of an old problem I thought of posting in a forum (either here or MMF).

Is there any particular approach to computing a closed form for derivatives of certain smooth and continuous functions of $\mathbb{R}$?

For example, it is easy to find the $n$-th derivative of $e^x$, which is $e^x$ in turn. But this gets considerably hard for some Weird functions. For example, I recall of having to fight with the derivatives of some loggamma function in order to get an asymptotic approximation for the inverse gamma function.

Leibniz's rule in general reduces considerable amount of work, although rational function, even after Leibniz rule applied can give one a hard time, especially the ones with denominators made of function composition. Speaking of the devil, is there any general $n$-derivative closed form for composition of functions?

Nevertheless, I think an approach would use a considerable amount of tools from fractional calculus. I give my apologies for not being able to show research effort on this question, I reckon I am getting lazy lately. I hope I would be able to work out something tomorrow. Meanwhile, please feel free to post any ideas / works you are familiar with. I would be happy to see any (well-accepted) literature on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathbalarka said:
A recent post of chisigma rings me the bell of an old problem I thought of posting in a forum (either here or MMF).

Is there any particular approach to computing a closed form for derivatives of certain smooth and continuous functions of $\mathbb{R}$?

For example, it is easy to find the $n$-th derivative of $e^x$, which is $e^x$ in turn. But this gets considerably hard for some Weird functions. For example, I recall of having to fight with the derivatives of some loggamma function in order to get an asymptotic approximation for the inverse gamma function.

Leibniz's rule in general reduces considerable amount of work, although rational function, even after Leibniz rule applied can give one a hard time, especially the ones with denominators made of function composition. Speaking of the devil, is there any general $n$-derivative closed form for composition of functions?

Nevertheless, I think an approach would use a considerable amount of tools from fractional calculus. I give my apologies for not being able to show research effort on this question, I reckon I am getting lazy lately. I hope I would be able to work out something tomorrow. Meanwhile, please feel free to post any ideas / works you are familiar with. I would be happy to see any (well-accepted) literature on this.

I think that You have in mind the 'efforts' to compute the successive derivatives in x=0 of the function...

$\displaystyle f(x) = - \frac{1}{(x - \frac{3}{2}\ \pi)^{2}\ \cos x}\ (1)$

I'm afraid that a really 'comfortable' way to do that doesn't exist but there is a good idea to make the job a little less tedious. The idea is based of the relation... $\displaystyle \frac{d}{d x}\ \ln f(x) = \frac{f^{\ '}(x)}{f(x)} \implies f^{\ '} (x) = f(x)\ \frac{d}{d x} \ln f(x)\ (2)$

Applying (2) to (1) you obtain... $\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \ln f(x) = - \frac{d}{d x} \{2\ \ln (x - \frac{3}{2}\ \pi) + \ln \cos x \} = - \frac{2}{x - \frac{3}{2}\ \pi} + \tan x \implies f^{\ '} (x) = \frac{1}{(x - \frac{3}{2}\ \pi)^{2}\ \cos x}\ (\frac{2}{x - \frac{3}{2}\ \pi} + \tan x)\ (3)$

What matters is that You can use (3) to evaluate $\displaystyle f^{\ ''} (x)$ only evaluating $\displaystyle \frac{d} {d x} \ln f^{\ '}(x)$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

I appreciate your answer but I am afraid I wasn't asking for what you intended to answer. My question was whether it is possible to determine $n$-th derivative of a function without known the $n-1$-th.

For most cases, en equivalent form of a function whether (integral or series) can make differentiation a way much easier. I have two examples in mind

The digamma function is defined as the logarithmic derivative of the gamma function

\(\displaystyle \psi_0(x) = \frac{\Gamma'(x)}{\Gamma(x)}\)

This form doesn't seem handy when considering higher derivative but if we use

\(\displaystyle \psi_0(x)=-\gamma+\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{1}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n+x} \)

The first derivative (so called Trigamma function)

\(\displaystyle \psi_1(x)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{1}{(n+x)^2}=\zeta(2,x) \)

where we define

\(\displaystyle \zeta(s,a)=\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{1}{(n+a)^s}\)

\(\displaystyle \zeta(s,1) \equiv \zeta(s) \)

By multiple differentiation we get

\(\displaystyle \psi_n(x)=(-1)^{n+1} n! \, \zeta(n+1,x) \)

Another example is my favorite (polylogarithms)

Define the following

\(\displaystyle \mathrm{Li}_s(x) = \sum_{n\geq 1}\frac{x^n}{n^s}\)

We can attain the following recrusive integral representation

\(\displaystyle \mathrm{Li}_s(x) = \int^x_0 \frac{\mathrm{Li}_{s-1}(x)}{x}\, dx\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\mathrm{Li}_s(x) = \frac{\mathrm{Li}_{s-1}(x)}{x}\)

Now multiple differentiation becomes extremely easy.

By the way nice topic. I'll come back once I get other examples (Wait)

mathbalarka said:
I appreciate your answer but I am afraid I wasn't asking for what you intended to answer. My question was whether it is possible to determine $n$-th derivative of a function without known the $n-1$-th.

A good approach to Your request exists if f(x) is L-transformable. In that case if $\displaystyle F(s) = \mathcal{L} \{f(x)\}$ You have...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L}\ \{\frac{d^{n}}{d x^{n}} f(x) \} = s^{n}\ F(s) - s^{n - 1}\ f(0) - s^{n - 2}\ f^{\ '}(0) - ... - s\ f^{(n-2)} (0) - f^{(n-1)} (0)\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Good find. But my more general question remains still open.

mathbalarka said:
Good find. But my more general question remains still open.
I'm not sure what your question is then. Could you reiterate?

Sure. I want a closed form for $n$-th derivative of a smooth, real and analytic function

mathbalarka said:
Sure. I want a closed form for $n$-th derivative of a smooth, real and analytic function

Analytic function means complex function inside a closed line $\gamma$ and in this case, for a point a inside $\gamma$ is...

$\displaystyle f^{(n)} (a) = \frac{n!}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z - a)^{n + 1}}\ dz\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Not really. What you give there is the definition of holomorphic functions. What I am referring to is real analytic functions

Related to Closed form chains of derivatives

1. What is meant by a "closed form chain of derivatives"?

A closed form chain of derivatives is a mathematical expression that represents the derivatives of a function in a compact and simplified form. It is a way of expressing multiple derivatives of a function in terms of the original function and its derivatives.

2. How do closed form chains of derivatives differ from regular derivatives?

Regular derivatives are calculated by applying the derivative rules to a given function, while closed form chains of derivatives are a more concise and elegant way of expressing multiple derivatives of a function. They can be obtained by using the Leibniz notation and applying the chain rule repeatedly.

3. What are the advantages of using closed form chains of derivatives?

Closed form chains of derivatives offer several advantages over regular derivatives. They can simplify complicated expressions, making them easier to work with and understand. They can also help in finding patterns and relationships between different derivatives, and can be used to derive new formulas and identities.

4. Can closed form chains of derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, closed form chains of derivatives can be applied to any differentiable function. They are particularly useful for functions that involve multiple variables, as they can help in finding the derivatives with respect to each variable in a single expression.

5. How can closed form chains of derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Closed form chains of derivatives have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to solve optimization problems, model systems with changing variables, and analyze the behavior of complex systems. They are also useful in computer science for optimizing algorithms and data structures.