Closed disk of radius limit math problem

In summary, we are trying to find the limit as r approaches 0 of the double integral of fdA over the closed disk Dr with radius r and center at (a,b). Using the mean value equality, we can rewrite the double integral as f(x,y) times the area of the disk, which is pir^2. Since (x,y) is inside the disk, we can rewrite the limit as f(xr,yr), where r is approaching 0. By proving that f is continuous, we can conclude that the limit is equal to f(a,b), where (a,b) is the center of the disk.
ironman2

Homework Statement

If Dr is a closed disk of radius r centered at (a,b) find lim r->0 (1/pir2) [tex]\int\int[/tex]fdA over Dr.

The Attempt at a Solution

From mean value equality, [tex]\int\int[/tex] fdA = f(x,y)A(D) where A(D) is the area of the region which here is pir2. So the lhs becomes lim r->0 f(x,y). Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ironman2! welcome to pf! :smile:
ironman2 said:
… So the lhs becomes lim r->0 f(x,y). Where do I go from here?

hint: where is (x,y) ? :wink:

Inside the disk? I thought of using a, b as x,y since a,b were inside the disk and somehow relating a, b to r... but can't seem to do it.

ironman2 said:
Inside the disk?

yup! :smile:

(x,y) is inside the disc Dr round (a,b) …

(btw, it would be more mathematical to call it (xr,yr) :wink:)

so limr->0 f(xr,yr) = … ? :smile:

Since f is continuous, would lim r->0 f(xr,yr) = (a,b)? I'm thinking a,b = 0,0 since its the center...

ironman2 said:
Since f is continuous, would lim r->0 f(xr,yr) = (a,b)?

yes, but you need to prove that, not just say it

hint: sequence :wink:
I'm thinking a,b = 0,0 since its the center...

i've no idea what this means … (a,b) is just (a,b) :confused:

Sequence like Taylor-series? I don't quite understand...

Nvm the 0,0 logic, I was assuming it's a disk centered on the origin, which obviously it's not.

(x1 , y1) , (x2,y2) , (x3,y3) , … (xn,yn) … :wink:

Got it, thanks!

Related to Closed disk of radius limit math problem

What is a closed disk of radius limit math problem?

A closed disk of radius limit math problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function within a specific region, typically a circular disk with a given radius. This type of problem often involves using calculus or other mathematical techniques to find the optimal solution.

How do I solve a closed disk of radius limit math problem?

To solve a closed disk of radius limit math problem, you will need to use techniques such as finding the derivative of the function, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the critical points. Then, you will need to evaluate the function at the critical points and the boundaries of the disk to determine the maximum or minimum value.

What are some common applications of closed disk of radius limit math problems?

Closed disk of radius limit math problems can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, these types of problems can be used to find the minimum energy required to reach a certain destination, while in economics, they can be used to optimize production costs.

What are some tips for solving closed disk of radius limit math problems?

Some tips for solving closed disk of radius limit math problems include visualizing the problem, understanding the constraints of the disk, and setting up and solving the necessary equations. It is also important to check your answers and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

Are there any techniques for solving closed disk of radius limit math problems without calculus?

Yes, there are some techniques for solving closed disk of radius limit math problems without using calculus. These include using geometric properties of circles, using algebraic methods such as completing the square, or using numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator to find the maximum or minimum value. However, calculus is often the most efficient and accurate method for solving these types of problems.