Clepsydra shape using Fourier series

In summary, our Fluid Mechanics professor gave us a challenge to find the shape of a vessel with a hole at the bottom such that the water level in the vessel will change at a constant rate. I presented a solution assuming that the vessel would be a 3D curve, and this was correct but apparently not good enough. He responded by saying that you have to show how you come up with the 1/4 power mathematically and rigorously from first principle. Does anyone have any idea where to begin? Thanks in advance.
bermudianmango
Our Fluid Mechanics professor gave us a challenge: to find the shape of a vessel with a hole at the bottom such that the water level in the vessel will change at a constant rate (i.e. if z is the height of the water in the tank dz/dt=constant).

I presented a solution assuming that the vessel would be a 3D curve: http://imgur.com/2RhMCgD
This was correct but apparently not good enough. He responded:

"You have to show how you come up with the 1/4 power mathematically and rigorously from first principle. For instance, start with a Fourier series with a set of orthogonal functions, and take it from here."

Does anyone have any idea where to begin?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I fail to see what that could have to do with Fourier series. You have shown that ##R^2 = a \sqrt z## if ##z'(t) = \mathrm{const}##. That is all it takes.

voko said:
I fail to see what that could have to do with Fourier series.

I agree. The way to do this is set up a differential equation and solve it.

Your solution does the right sort of things, except you seem to have made some arbitrary assumptions like the first line "assume it's a parabola". The solution to the ODE will be whatever it is - you don't need to assume anything.

Likes 1 person
It may actually be the ungrounded assumption in the beginning that made the prof unhappy. It is not necessary anyway, just drop it.

I was unsure how the Fourier series would come into it as well.
How would you drop the assumption, allowing for the possiblity that it might be a cone, or cylinder or anything? By assuming it was a curve I was able to solve for the 1/4 power.

You used the parabolic function as a placeholder for a unknown function, and then you demonstrated that the unknown function had to satisfy a particular property, which determines it almost completely. You could have started with just an unknown function.

OK. So like this then? http://imgur.com/zvrjcVt

But it sounds like everyone is as puzzled as me as to how one could use a Fourier series..

You are still making ungrounded assumptions. Don't. Just use ##R(z)## and transform the equations so that you obtain ##R(z) = ...##. That is all you need.

Likes 1 person
OK Thanks guys. I'll rework it and have a little chat with him

Related to Clepsydra shape using Fourier series

What is a clepsydra shape?

A clepsydra shape is a geometric figure that resembles a water clock or hourglass. It has a narrow waist or neck and two bulging ends.

What is Fourier series?

Fourier series is a mathematical method used to express periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is commonly used in signal processing and the study of periodic phenomena.

How is Fourier series used to describe clepsydra shapes?

In the study of clepsydra shapes, Fourier series can be used to approximate the shape of the figure by representing it as a sum of sine and cosine functions. This allows for a more precise and mathematical understanding of the shape.

Why is it important to study clepsydra shapes using Fourier series?

Studying clepsydra shapes using Fourier series can provide insights into the underlying mathematical principles and patterns that determine the shape. It can also be useful in practical applications, such as designing more efficient water clocks or hourglasses.

What are some real-world examples of clepsydra shapes?

Clepsydra shapes can be found in various objects, such as water clocks, hourglasses, and even some types of bottles. They also appear in nature, such as in the shape of a tornado or the flow of a river.