Classical position/velocity probability

In summary: Probability to find a particle in some region of space is inversely proportional to velocity particle has in that region of space.
j1m1
Probability to find a particle in some region of space is inversely proportional to velocity particle has in that region of space.
Let's say we have two cases: one particle has velocity given by v(t)=v0*Cos(w*t), and other by v(t)=v0-v1*Cos(w*t), (v0>v1).
Since particle spends more time in regions of low velocity this should imply that probability to find a particle with low velocity is bigger than to find it with high velocity . For the first case probability to find a particle with velocity around v0 should be equal to probability to find a particle with velocity around -v0. In the second case the probability to find a particle with velocity around v0-v1 should be much bigger that to find it with velocity v0+v1, but on the other hand v(t) is distribution of velocity of a particle in time, and from this it looks that probability to find a particle with velocity around v0-v1 should be equal to probability to find a particle with velocity around v0+v1.
All opinions appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
j1m1 said:
In the second case the probability to find a particle with velocity around v0-v1 should be much bigger that to find it with velocity v0+v1
It will be bigger, but not necessarily much bigger.

but on the other hand v(t) is distribution of velocity of a particle in time, and from this it looks that probability to find a particle with velocity around v0-v1 should be equal to probability to find a particle with velocity around v0+v1.
I don't follow your reasoning here. Can you try to explain in more detail why you think this?

I think probability in low velocity region should depend on v0-v1 (the closer they are together, the longer the time particle spends in low velocity region).
My reasoning is: if you look at v(t)=v0-v1*Cos(w*t), particle's velocity oscillates around v0, and Cos function is symmetric in t, meaning in one full period it will be as much positive as it will be negative,and in the same way. If I were to choose random time t, just by looking at this velocity distribution, I would have equal probability that particle has velocity around v0+v1 as v0-v1.

The cos function is symmetric, but the function ##t\mapsto v(t)## is not symmetric because of the asymmetric velocity v0, and it is that function that determines the likelihood of finding a point in a region, not just the Cos function.

Ok I think I understand now. Thank you for clarifying.

Related to Classical position/velocity probability

1. What is classical position/velocity probability?

Classical position/velocity probability refers to the likelihood of a particle or object being at a specific position and having a specific velocity at a given moment in time, according to classical mechanics.

2. How is classical position/velocity probability calculated?

Classical position/velocity probability is calculated using the classical mechanics formula, which takes into account the mass, velocity, and position of a particle or object in a given system.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum position/velocity probability?

The main difference between classical and quantum position/velocity probability is that classical mechanics uses deterministic equations to calculate the probability, while quantum mechanics uses probabilistic equations that take into account the uncertainty principle.

4. Can classical position/velocity probability be used to predict the future movement of an object?

Yes, classical position/velocity probability can be used to predict the future movement of an object, as long as there are no external forces acting on the object that could change its trajectory.

5. How does classical position/velocity probability relate to the uncertainty principle?

Classical position/velocity probability does not take into account the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.