Classical mechanics, Hamiltonian formalism, change of variables

In summary: Overall, your attempt at solving the problem is a good start, but it would be helpful to have more context and information to get a more precise solution. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a canonical transformation and Hamiltonian formalism, where the original Hamiltonian is given as H(x,y)={1\over 2}(x_1^2+y_1^2+x_2^2+y_2^2). The person is attempting to solve for the motion in terms of new variables X and Y, with the additional restriction that X_2=Y_2=0. They propose a solution and ask for confirmation on its accuracy, as well as if there is a way to get more specific values for the constants
c299792458

Homework Statement

This problem has to do with a canonical transformation and Hamiltonian formalism. Below is my attempt at solving it, but I am not too sure about it. Please help!

Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be some parameter.

And
[tex]X_1=x_1\cos \theta-y_2\sin\theta\\
Y_1=y_1\cos \theta+x_2\sin\theta\\
X_2= x_2\cos \theta-y_1\sin\theta\\
Y_2=y_2\cos\theta+x_1\sin \theta
[/tex]

Suppose the original Hamiltonian is [tex]H(x,y)={1\over 2}(x_1^2+y_1^2+x_2^2+y_2^2)[/tex]
I wish to find solve for the motion in terms of the new variables. I am also given the restriction that [itex]X_2=Y_2=0[/itex]

____
***Attempt:***

I believe we have [tex]H(X,Y)={1\over 2}(X_1^2+Y_1^2+X_2^2+Y_2^2)[/tex]

Now the normal Hamiltonian formalism would suggest that [tex]\dot X_i={\partial H\over \partial Y_i }\\
\dot Y_i=-{\partial H\over \partial X_i }[/tex]

Which gives [tex]\ddot X_1=-X_1\\
\ddot Y_1=-Y_1[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]X_1(t)=A(\theta)\cos t+B(\theta)\sin t\\
Y_2(t)=C(\theta)\cos t+D(\theta)\sin t[/tex]***Is this form of solutions right?***

We see that the [tex]{\partial X_1\over \partial \theta}=-Y_2=0\\
{\partial Y_1\over \partial \theta}=X_2=0[/tex]
So [itex]A,B,C,D[/itex] must be constants.

Are these arguments right? And can I get a better solution, say by getting a more specific set of [itex]A,B,C,D[/itex], given only the given information?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations \dot X_i={\partial H\over \partial Y_i }\\\dot Y_i=-{\partial H\over \partial X_i }The Attempt at a SolutionYes, your arguments and solution are correct. In order to get more specific values for A,B,C,D, you would need more information about the system, such as initial conditions or other constraints.

Related to Classical mechanics, Hamiltonian formalism, change of variables

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as particles, rigid bodies, and fluids, under the influence of forces.

2. What is the Hamiltonian formalism?

The Hamiltonian formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position and momentum variables. It is based on the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical expression that summarizes the total energy of a system.

3. How does the Hamiltonian formalism differ from the Lagrangian formalism?

The Hamiltonian formalism differs from the Lagrangian formalism in that it uses the position and momentum variables of a system as its fundamental quantities, while the Lagrangian formalism uses the generalized coordinates and velocities. The Hamiltonian formalism also introduces the concept of Hamilton's equations, which govern the evolution of a system over time.

4. What is the significance of change of variables in classical mechanics?

Change of variables allows us to describe a physical system in different coordinate systems, which can simplify the equations of motion and provide insight into the behavior of the system. It is particularly useful in solving complex problems in classical mechanics and can also aid in visualizing the motion of a system.

5. How does the change of variables affect the Hamiltonian function?

The Hamiltonian function is a mathematical expression that remains unchanged under change of variables. This allows us to use the same Hamiltonian function to describe a physical system in different coordinate systems, making it a powerful tool in classical mechanics.