Classical mechanics electrostatics and charges

In summary, the problem asks for the speed of a proton that grazes a sphere and is given the initial and final energy of the system. Conservation of energy can be used to find the speed.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

hi i was doing a practice physics junior olympiad paper when i got stuck in question 11 in this link
[/B]
https://www.scribd.com/document/244111815/SJPO-2013-Special-Round-pdf

upload_2017-2-11_10-28-38.png

Edit by moderator: Inserted relevant extract of the PDF so that helpers do not have to go off-site, download a PDF, and search through it for the problem statement. By the way, it was problem 10, not problem 11 :mad:

what exactly does the question mean by grazing past the sphere does it mean the proton stops moving or does it continue moving and is the approach for the problem conservation of energy or some other approach.
i know a calculus based approach will work but this competition does not require the use of calculus so please don't give me a calculus approach. and how exactly does the variable l affect the trajectory of the particle i am confused please help? any help will be appreciated thanks!

Homework Equations

potential energy = -kQq/r
potenial = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vishnu 73 said:
what exactly does the question mean by grazing past the sphere does it mean the proton stops moving or does it continue moving and is the approach for the problem conservation of energy or some other approach.
i know a calculus based approach will work but this competition does not require the use of calculus so please don't give me a calculus approach. and how exactly does the variable l affect the trajectory of the particle i am confused please help? any help will be appreciated thanks!
If the proton or electron grazes the sphere, there will only be tangential speed. (in the direction perpendicular to the line from O to wherever the ). You should be able to use conservation of energy to find out what that speed is. After that there's another conservation law you can use to find l.

willem2 said:
If the proton or electron grazes the sphere, there will only be tangential speed. (in the direction perpendicular to the line from O to wherever the ). You should be able to use conservation of energy to find out what that speed is. After that there's another conservation law you can use to find l.

wait i don't understand how you can find out l with conservation law please i don't see it sorry!

Can you use conservation of energy to compute the speed of the proton when it's grazing the disk?

willem2 said:
Can you use conservation of energy to compute the speed of the proton when it's grazing the disk?
yay that i think i should be able to do given the initial energy and the final distance for the sphere is r so the final speed i know how to calculate but how does that help you to calculate l

Related to Classical mechanics electrostatics and charges

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves understanding the behavior of electric charges, electric fields, and electric potential in static (non-moving) situations.

What are electric charges?

Electric charges are fundamental properties of matter that can be either positive or negative. They are responsible for the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow easily. This is due to the difference in the ability of these materials to hold and transfer electric charges.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.