Classical mechanics, a puck and an incline

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the position of a puck that is kicked with an initial speed on a frictionless plane inclined at an angle above the horizontal. They write down Newton's second law for the puck and attempt to solve it, but encounter some confusion with the reference frame and force components. They eventually arrive at a solution for the position as a function of time.
Cogswell

Homework Statement

A student kicks a frictionless puck with initial speed ## v_0 ## so that it slides straight up a plane that is inclined at an angle ## \theta ## above the horizontal.
Write down Newton's second law for the puck and solve it to give it's position as a function of time
How long will the puck take to return to its starting point?

Homework Equations

## F = m \ddot{r} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the y-axis as vertical, and the x-axis as horizontal and the incline at angle theta. The z axis is into the page, but it's equal to zero because the puck doesn't move that way. (See attached image)

## F = m \ddot{r} ##

## F_x + F_y + F_z = m \ddot{r} ##

## \dfrac{mg}{\tan \theta} + mg + 0 = m \ddot{r} ##

## \displaystyle \int \dfrac{g}{\tan \theta}dt + \int gdt = \int \ddot{r}dt ##

## \displaystyle \dfrac{gt}{\tan \theta} + gt = \dot{v} ##

I feel like something is wrong here... can someone help me out?

Attachments

• IMG_20130529_213414.jpg
    IMG_20130529_213414.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about the reasoning in your steps? IS there anywhere you feel as though you're unsure about what you did and why?

I think it's only because I saw a slightly different example on another page and they used a different reference frame - they had the x-axis as the actual slope, and the y-axis is the normal to the slope. I didn't fully know why they did that, because I feel like I understand it this way more.

So carrying on from where I left off (I forgot a constant of integration and accidentally had a dot above the v)

[tex]\dfrac{gt}{\tan \theta} + gt + C_1 = v[/tex]

Substituting in ## v_0 ## as the initial condition:

[tex]\dfrac{g * 0}{\tan \theta} + g * 0 + C_1 = v_0[/tex]

[tex]C_1 = v_0[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \int \dfrac{gt}{\tan \theta} + \int gt + \int v_0 = \int v[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \dfrac{gt^2}{2\tan \theta} + \dfrac{1}{2}gt^2 + v_0 t + C_2 = r[/tex]

The starting position is 0, at time 0, and so ##C_2 = 0##
And so:

[tex]\displaystyle x(t) = \dfrac{gt^2}{2} (\tan \theta + 1) + v_0 t[/tex]

Is that right?

Cogswell said:
## F = m \ddot{r} ##

## F_x + F_y + F_z = m \ddot{r} ##

## \dfrac{mg}{\tan \theta} + mg + 0 = m \ddot{r} ##
Not sure what you're doing here.

What forces act on the puck? How did you determine Fx? Fy? What about the normal force?

You cannot just add up the force components in different directions. Why not consider forces parallel to the incline.

Think about what everything means, your Fx is the force component acting parallel to the horizontal is that what you want?
If the x direction was said to be parallel to the incline rather than to the horizontal, as in the example you saw what would x component of the force then be?

Related to Classical mechanics, a puck and an incline

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as a puck on an incline. It is based on the laws of Newtonian mechanics and is used to describe the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

2. How does a puck move on an incline?

A puck on an incline will move in response to the force of gravity pulling it down the incline. The direction and speed of the puck's motion will depend on the angle of the incline, the mass of the puck, and any other forces acting on the puck, such as friction.

3. What is the role of friction in classical mechanics?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and is an important factor in classical mechanics. For example, in the case of a puck on an incline, friction between the puck and the incline will affect the speed and direction of the puck's motion.

4. How is energy conserved in classical mechanics?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In classical mechanics, the total energy of a system remains constant, and energy can be transferred between different forms, such as potential energy and kinetic energy.

5. How does classical mechanics relate to everyday life?

Classical mechanics is essential in understanding the physical world around us. It can explain why objects fall to the ground, how machines work, and the behavior of moving vehicles. From the movement of planets to the motion of a hockey puck, classical mechanics plays a crucial role in our daily lives.