Classical Mech - Newtons 2nd. Quad Air Resistance

That's a minus sign, not a plus.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a puck being kicked up an incline with initial speed and no friction, but air resistance present. The goal is to solve for the puck's velocity as a function of time and determine how long the journey lasts. The equations used include Newton's second law and an integral for 1/(1+x^2), with some confusion over how to approach the problem.
MPKU

Homework Statement

A puck of mass m is kicked up an incline (angle θ) with initial speed vo. Friction is not present, but air resistance has a magnitude of f(v) = cv2. Solve Newtons second law for the pucks velocity as a function of t on the upward journey. How long does the journey last?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mr'' = -mgsinθ - fquad

mv' = -mgsinθ - cv2 v(hat)

dv/dt = -gsinθ -(c/m)v2 v(hat)

dt = -dv/ (gsin θ -(c/m)v2 v(hat) )

I'm not quite sure how to solve this; perhaps I could rewrite to get a known integral of 1/(1 +x^2) dx, but I don't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can drop the v(hat), since you've reduced it to scalars, all motion being in the one dimension.
Can you do it from there?

I don't think so. Should I just rewrite it as:

dt = -(gsin θ -(c/m)v^2)^-1 dv and integrate?

MPKU said:
I don't think so. Should I just rewrite it as:

dt = -(gsin θ -(c/m)v^2)^-1 dv and integrate?
Yes, except that you just made a sign error.

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller components and using known equations to solve for the velocity and time. First, we can use Newton's second law to determine the acceleration of the puck, which would be equal to the net force acting on it divided by its mass. In this case, the net force would be the component of gravity acting down the incline and the air resistance acting in the opposite direction.

Next, we can use the kinematic equation v = vo + at to solve for the velocity of the puck at any given time t. We can also use the equation s = s0 + v0t + 1/2at^2 to determine the distance traveled by the puck during the journey.

To find the total time of the journey, we can use the equation v = vo + at again, but this time setting v = 0 to find the time at which the puck reaches its maximum height. We can then use this time to determine the total time of the journey by doubling it (since the puck will take the same amount of time to travel back down the incline).

Incorporating the air resistance into the equations may make them more complex, but the overall approach would remain the same. We would just need to use the specific equation for air resistance (f(v) = cv^2) in our calculations. It may also be helpful to graph the velocity and position of the puck over time to visualize its motion.

In summary, as a scientist, I would suggest using known equations and breaking down the problem into smaller components to solve for the velocity and time of the puck's upward journey on the incline.

Related to Classical Mech - Newtons 2nd. Quad Air Resistance

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

2. How does air resistance affect an object's motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through the air. This force increases as an object's speed increases, and it can significantly affect an object's motion, especially at high speeds. Air resistance can cause objects to slow down or change direction, and it can also affect the trajectory of projectiles.

3. What is the formula for calculating air resistance?

The formula for calculating air resistance is Fdrag = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * A * Cd, where Fdrag is the drag force, ρ is the density of the air, v is the speed of the object, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient. This formula is based on the assumption that air resistance is proportional to the square of the object's speed and its cross-sectional area.

4. How does air resistance affect free-falling objects?

For objects that are free-falling, air resistance can significantly affect their motion. As an object falls, its speed increases, and so does the air resistance acting on it. At some point, the air resistance will become equal to the force of gravity acting on the object, and the object will reach a terminal velocity where its speed remains constant. This is why objects like skydivers use parachutes to increase their air resistance and slow down their descent.

5. Can air resistance ever be completely eliminated?

In theory, air resistance can be completely eliminated if an object travels through a vacuum or in a medium with no air particles. However, in reality, it is nearly impossible to eliminate air resistance entirely, as there will always be some air particles present. However, objects can be designed to minimize air resistance, such as with streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces, to reduce its effects on their motion.