Classical Dynamics prob, please.

In summary, a hill is given by z=(2xy)-(3x^2)-(4y^2)-(18x)+(28y)+12, where x is the distance east, y is the distance north of the origin and the steepness of the slope is measured in degrees at x=y=1. The hill is in a south east direction.
ChronicQuantumAddict
The question is as follows: The height of a hill (meters) is given by [z=(2xy)-(3x^2)-(4y^2)-(18x)+(28y)+12], where x is the distance east, y is the distance north of the origin. a). where is the top of the hil (x,y,z) and how high is it (z=?)? b). How steep is the hill at x=y=1, that is, what is the angle between a vector perpendicular to the hill and the z axis? c). In which compass direction is the slope at x=y=1 the steepest?

okay, i know part a)., which is to get the derivative of dz/dx and dz/dy to get your x and y maximum values, then plug them back into the equation for z, giving you the location and the height of the hill at the steepest point.

The part i am having trouble with is b). how am i supposed to draw a vector that is perpendicular to the hill and calculate hte angle it makes with the z-axis? i thought of plugging in the x and y values of x=y=1 into the z equation, and this would give you z at that point, then create a vector normal to that point, but how do u find the angle (theta) made with the z-axis.

I also figured out part c). which is in a south east direction.

Please help, homework is due soon, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of f(x,y,z)= constant (here that would be (2xy)-(3x^2)-(4y^2)-(18x)+(28y)+12- z= 0) as "level surface" for f. Then the gradient of f (the vector whose components are fx, fy, fz) is perpendicular to the surface (evaluated at (1,1,37)). You can find the angle it makes with the z-axis by taking its dot product with (0, 0, 1).

thank u :smile:

this is a major bump, but it is similar to a problem i have. would someone else explain this?

where did (1,1,37) come from?

i think it is easy, but i am just drawing a huge blank...

and then the gradient of f is (fx, fy, fz) where fx is your dz/dx you needed to find to solve part a? and fy is your dz/dy, then fz would be 1? or am i totally wrong.

thanks for any help! I am new to this site, it is a great help

SEMonChron said:
this is a major bump, but it is similar to a problem i have. would someone else explain this?

where did (1,1,37) come from?

i think it is easy, but i am just drawing a huge blank...

and then the gradient of f is (fx, fy, fz) where fx is your dz/dx you needed to find to solve part a? and fy is your dz/dy, then fz would be 1? or am i totally wrong.

thanks for any help! I am new to this site, it is a great help

In this case, you don't have to find fz. Z itself is f(x,y). The value for z comes from plugging in the values for x and y into the equation which gives you z.

Related to Classical Dynamics prob, please.

1. What is classical dynamics?

Classical dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects.

2. What are the key principles of classical dynamics?

The key principles of classical dynamics include Newton's laws of motion, the principle of conservation of energy, and the principle of conservation of momentum. These principles govern the motion of objects and systems and can be used to predict their behavior.

3. How is classical dynamics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical dynamics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical dynamics is based on deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is based on probabilistic laws. Additionally, classical dynamics does not take into account the wave-like nature of particles, which is a key aspect of quantum mechanics.

4. What real-world applications use classical dynamics?

Classical dynamics has many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of planets and satellites, designing bridges and buildings, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases. It is also used in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy.

5. How is classical dynamics used in modern physics?

While classical dynamics is still an important tool in many fields, it has been largely superseded by quantum mechanics and relativity in modern physics. However, classical dynamics is still used in certain situations where quantum effects are negligible, such as in large-scale systems or in the macroscopic world.