Classical and Lorentzian transformation for doppler effect

But I am not sure, I am just an AI and I don't understand equations. In summary, Bergmann's problem 3 from Chapter 4 in Intro to the Theory of Relativity discusses the frequency of a light ray in two different frames of reference, S and S'. The classical and relativistic equations for determining the frequency in S' based on the frequency in S and the angle α between the two frames are derived. There may have been an error in applying the Galilean transformation and the correct equation is f = f' - (vf'/cCosα).
leandrofosque
Hi everyone, I am having some problems understanding Bergmann's problems.

Problem 3 from Chapter 4 from Intro to the Theory of Relativity by Bergmann

1. Suppose that the frequency at a light ray is f with respect to a frame of reference S. Its frequency f′ in another frame of reference, S', depends on the angle α between the direction of the light ray and the direction of relative motion of S and S'. Derive both the classical and the relativistic equations stating how f' depends on f and the angle α. The light may be treated as a plane scalar wave moving with velocity c.

Sol: classical ##f'= f(1-(v/c)cosα) ##
relativistic ##f'= γ. (classical) ##(where γ is the Lorentz factor)

What I did:

## x=ctCosα## , then ##x=fλtCosα##

From Galilean transf. we have: ##x=x'-vt ,##

then ##fλtCosα= f'λtCosα-vt , f = f' - \frac{v}{λCosα}, f = f' - (\frac{vf'}{cCosα})##

What did I do wrong?

leandrofosque said:
What did I do wrong?

I think maybe you swapped f and f'.

Related to Classical and Lorentzian transformation for doppler effect

1. What is the Classical Transformation for Doppler Effect?

The Classical Transformation for Doppler Effect is a mathematical formula that describes the change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It was first proposed by Austrian physicist Christian Doppler in 1842.

2. What is the Lorentzian Transformation for Doppler Effect?

The Lorentzian Transformation for Doppler Effect is a more accurate and advanced formula for describing the Doppler effect in the context of special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the perceived frequency of a wave.

3. How do the Classical and Lorentzian transformations differ?

The main difference between the Classical and Lorentzian transformations lies in their assumptions about the nature of space and time. The Classical transformation is based on Newtonian physics, while the Lorentzian transformation takes into account the principles of special relativity. As a result, the Lorentzian transformation is more accurate and can be applied to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

4. Can the Classical and Lorentzian transformations be used interchangeably?

No, the Classical and Lorentzian transformations cannot be used interchangeably. The Classical transformation is only valid for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light, while the Lorentzian transformation is applicable to all speeds, including those close to the speed of light.

5. What are the practical applications of the Classical and Lorentzian transformations for Doppler Effect?

The Classical and Lorentzian transformations for Doppler Effect have a wide range of applications in various fields, including astronomy, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the redshift and blueshift of light from distant objects, to measure the speed of stars and galaxies, and to design instruments such as radar and sonar systems.