Classic Related Rates: Sand Conical

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving sand falling onto a conical pile and the rate at which the pile's height and radius are changing. The formula V=1/3πr2h is used to calculate the volume of the pile, and solving for dh/dt and dr/dt leads to a mistaken solution. It is suggested to use either r=(4/3)h or h=(3/4)r to write V as a function of one variable, and multiplying the proposed correction for dh/dt by 3/4 leads to the correct solution.
jellofaceman
I've been trying to figure out where my mistake lies in the first solution. Some help would be appreciated. I did notice I got the same solution twice, so I assume I just calculated dr/dt twice and I need to use a different equation for dh/dt? Is dh/dt=(3/4)*dr/dt?

1. Sand falls from a conveyor belt at a rate of 12 m^3/min onto the top of a conical
pile. The height of the pile is always three-eights of the base diameter. How fast
(in cm/min) are the height and the radius changing when the pile is 2m high.

2. V=1/3πr2h
r= 4/3h = 8/3
h=3/4r = 2
dv/dt= 12
dh/dt= ?
dr/dt = ?
Meters*100=Cm

3. Solving for dh/dt /* Answer is incorrect*/
v=(1/3)π(4/3h)2h
v=(4/9)π(h)3
dv/dt=(4/3)πh2dh/dt
12=(16/3)π(dh/dt) /*Plug in values and rearrange*/
36/16π=dh/dt
dh/dt=.7162 /* Proposed correction: Multiply by 3/4?*/

Same for dr/dt /*Solution is Correct*/
v=(1/3)π(r)2(3/4)r
v=(3/12)πr^3
dv/dt=(9/12)πr2dr/dt
12=(9/12)π(8/3)2dr/dt
12/((9/12)π(8/3)2)=dr/dt
dr/dt=.7162

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jellofaceman said:
I've been trying to figure out where my mistake lies in the first solution. Some help would be appreciated. I did notice I got the same solution twice, so I assume I just calculated dr/dt twice and I need to use a different equation for dh/dt? Is dh/dt=(3/4)*dr/dt?

1. Sand falls from a conveyor belt at a rate of 12 m^3/min onto the top of a conical
pile. The height of the pile is always three-eights of the base diameter. How fast
(in cm/min) are the height and the radius changing when the pile is 2m high.

2. V=1/3πr2h
r= 4/3h = 8/3
h=3/4r = 2
dv/dt= 12
It's important to keep in mind which things are constant, and which things are variable. V, r, and h are all changing with time, and the only thing that remains constant is dV/dt. Think of r = r(t), h = h(t), and V = V(t) as functions of t such that at a particular moment t0, r(t0) = 8/3, h(t0) = 2, and V(t0) = whatever it happens to be at that time.

At any other time, r ≠ 8/3 and h ≠ 2.
Use one or the other of these equations -- r = (4/3)h or h = (3/4)r to write V as a function of one variable alone.
jellofaceman said:
dh/dt= ?
dr/dt = ?
Meters*100=Cm

3. Solving for dh/dt /* Answer is incorrect*/
v=(1/3)π(4/3h)2h
v=(4/9)π(h)3
dv/dt=(4/3)πh2dh/dt
12=(16/3)π(dh/dt) /*Plug in values and rearrange*/
36/16π=dh/dt
dh/dt=.7162 /* Proposed correction: Multiply by 3/4?*/

Same for dr/dt /*Solution is Correct*/
v=(1/3)π(r)2(3/4)r
v=(3/12)πr^3
dv/dt=(9/12)πr2dr/dt
12=(9/12)π(8/3)2dr/dt
12/((9/12)π(8/3)2)=dr/dt
dr/dt=.7162

Thank you for your help.
-Ben

Related to Classic Related Rates: Sand Conical

1. What is the equation for finding the rate of change of the height of a conical sandpile?

The equation is dh/dt = (r/h)(dr/dt), where h is the height of the sandpile, r is the radius of the circular base, and t is time.

2. How do you find the rate at which the volume of a conical sandpile is changing?

To find the rate of change of volume, use the equation dV/dt = π(r^2)(dh/dt), where V is the volume of the sandpile.

3. Can this concept be applied to other shapes besides a conical sandpile?

Yes, this concept can be applied to any shape where the volume or height is changing with respect to time. The equations may differ slightly depending on the shape, but the principles remain the same.

4. How do you determine the rate of change of the angle of repose for a conical sandpile?

The angle of repose is the angle at which the sandpile will remain stable. This can be found using the equation dθ/dt = (dh/dt)(r/h), where θ is the angle of repose.

5. What factors can affect the rate of change in a conical sandpile?

The rate of change in a conical sandpile can be affected by factors such as the amount of sand being added or removed, the shape and size of the sand particles, and external forces such as wind or vibrations.