Class 3 Lever: Non-perpendicular Effort

In summary, the conversation discusses a machine in a workshop that is being modified to reduce the lifting force required by the hydraulic ram and subsequently decrease hydraulic system pressure. The speaker is trying to calculate the current configuration using a class 3 lever at a 30 degree angle, but their previous equation was incorrect. Another person suggests a new equation that results in the correct answer of 105,068 Newtons as the lifting force required at a 10 degree angle. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful input.
Jimbo86
Hi,

We have a machine in our workshop in which we are modifying to relieve the amount of lifting force required by the hydraulic ram. This will subsequently reduce hydraulic system pressure which is the main goal. I'm trying to calculate the current configuration. It consists of a class 3 lever, with the effort applied at a 30 degree angle to the horizontal plane.

Lever.JPG

I've tried the following equation:

5150 * 1.24 * sin(10) / 0.35 = 3168N

I know the above is incorrect. At sin(90) perpendicular effort I need 18,245 N to lift the load. I would expect an answer of 3 to 4 times this with the effort applied at 10 degrees.

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Lever.JPG
    Lever.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 449
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hint..

N*Sin(10) must equal 18245

Rearrange to give N.

How about:

((5150 * 1.24) / sin(10)) / 0.35

This gives me 105,072.9 Newtons which equals 10.71 tonne.

Have I hit it?

Yes.

Although I'd work slightly differently it as...

Vertical component (Nv) of N =
(5150*1.24)/0.35 = 18245

Then
Nv = N Sin(10)
so
N = Nv/sin(10)
= 18245/sin(10)
= 105,068 Newtons

Excellent.

Thanks for your help.

Related to Class 3 Lever: Non-perpendicular Effort

1. What is a Class 3 Lever?

A Class 3 Lever is a type of lever in which the effort force is located between the fulcrum and the load. This means that the effort force and the load are on opposite sides of the fulcrum.

2. How does a Class 3 Lever work?

A Class 3 Lever works by using a pivot point, or fulcrum, to lift or move a load. The load is located on one side of the fulcrum, while the effort force is applied on the other side. This creates a rotational movement, allowing the load to be moved.

3. What is the difference between a Class 3 Lever and a Class 1 Lever?

The main difference between a Class 3 Lever and a Class 1 Lever is the location of the effort force. In a Class 3 Lever, the effort force is located between the fulcrum and the load, while in a Class 1 Lever, the effort force is applied directly on the load.

4. What is an example of a Class 3 Lever?

A common example of a Class 3 Lever is a pair of tweezers. The fulcrum is located at the joint between the two arms, the load is the object being tweezed, and the effort force is applied when squeezing the arms together.

5. How does the angle of the effort force affect the efficiency of a Class 3 Lever?

The angle of the effort force has a direct impact on the efficiency of a Class 3 Lever. The closer the angle is to 90 degrees, the more efficient the lever will be. This means that the effort force should be applied as perpendicular to the lever as possible in order to maximize its effect.