Clarifying the Meaning of Radius of Curvature in Cosmology

In summary: Its like the case of the Einstein's static universe model. In that case we have ##R_0 = \frac{c} and {\sqrt\Lambda}## and that's the radius of the universeYes. Why is the question "In 3D or 2D shpere Radius of curvature isn't equal to the radius ?" even relevant?Curiosity ? Its also something that we can answer ( I guess)You are aware that spacetime is not "curved into" anything, and certainly not a pre-existing Euclidian space, right?Yes, indeed.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
$$1 - \Omega_{tot} = \Omega_κ = \frac{-κc^2}{R_0^2H_0^2} $$

For ##\Omega_κ=-0.0438## we get a some value for ##R_0##. This ##R_0## is the radius of the observable universe right ?
Not the universe ?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
This R0R_0 is the radius of the observable universe right ?
Not the universe ?

Neither. It is the radius of curvature.

Vanadium 50 said:
Neither. It is the radius of curvature.
In 3D or 2D shpere Radius of curvature isn't equal to the radius ?

Why is that even relevant?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why is that even relevant?
The question ?

Yes. Why is the question "In 3D or 2D shpere Radius of curvature isn't equal to the radius ?" even relevant?

You are aware that spacetime is not "curved into" anything, and certainly not a pre-existing Euclidian space, right?
You are also aware that the size of the visible universe is mostly a function of how old it is, right? (Particularly when one ignores Dark Energy)

Here's how I've always understood it:

Taking a 2D surface of a 2-sphere as an analogue of a positively-curved 3D universe, the radius of the observable universe is the radius of the circle drawn on the surface of this sphere (x). The radius of curvature of the 2D universe is the radius of the 2-sphere (R0):
1574015506571.png

In 3D hyperspherical universe, the radius of the spherical 3D volume that constitutes our observable universe is the analogue of x. The radius of curvature is the radius of the 3-sphere on which the 3D volume is drawn, analogous to R0 above.

Bandersnatch said:
Taking a 2D surface of a 2-sphere as an analogue of a positively-curved 3D universe, the radius of the observable universe is the radius of the circle drawn on the surface of this sphere (x). The radius of curvature of the 2D universe is the radius of the 2-sphere (R0):
Okay I see your point.

Its like the case of the Einstein's static universe model. In that case we have ##R_0 = \frac{c} and {\sqrt\Lambda}## and that's the radius of the universe
Vanadium 50 said:
Yes. Why is the question "In 3D or 2D shpere Radius of curvature isn't equal to the radius ?" even relevant?
Curiosity ? Its also something that we can answer ( I guess)

Vanadium 50 said:
You are aware that spacetime is not "curved into" anything, and certainly not a pre-existing Euclidian space, right?
Yes, indeed.
Vanadium 50 said:
You are also aware that the size of the visible universe is mostly a function of how old it is, right? (Particularly when one ignores Dark Energy)
It actually depends on the density parameters not exactly time itself. But density parameters internally depends on time so..

Last edited:
Arman777 said:
So ıf the universe is curved we are actually measuring the radius of the universe ?
As long as you understand that it's the radius of the curvature of the universe, i.e. the radius of the higher-dimensional hypersphere, not anything within the 3D space.

Bandersnatch said:
As long as you understand that it's the radius of the curvature of the universe, i.e. the radius of the higher-dimensional hypersphere, not anything within the 3D space.
For 2D sphere as a 2d creatures radius of the universe is not a meaningful thing. Radius of curvature has some meaning ..? I guess that is your point ?

Yes.
For the 2D flatlanders living on the surface of a sphere:
- radius of the observable universe has a meaning, and it's how far on the surface of the sphere they can see;
- radius of the universe has no meaning, since it'd be the distance to the boundary of the surface, and the surface of a sphere has no boundary;
- radius of the curvature of the universe has a meaning, since it tells one how curved the geometry of the 2D space is, but it is not a distance between any two points within that space. A flatlander can't point anywhere on the 2D surface and say 'the centre of curvature is R0 light years that way'.

Likes Arman777
Also, perhaps misleadingly, radius of curvature is used for hyperbolic geometry, where even with embedding it has no direct meaning. It is best thought of as just a variant of Gaussian curvature or sectional curvature, which have intrinsic definitions. The valid idea being the magnitude quasilocal deviation from Euclidean geometry is similar to the surface of a sphere with radius of radius of curvature - even if the type of deviation is opposite of spherical.

Yes you are right. I asked the question because in some site someone claimed that ##R_0## is the radius of the universe and gives it in terms of ly and compares it with the radius of the observable universe . And that confused me.

I mean for 2D sphere case yes radius of the universe do not mean anything so the same goes for 3d sphere and he is wrong then. Mathematiclaly it can mean something but physically it means nothing. Since its not measureable.

Related to Clarifying the Meaning of Radius of Curvature in Cosmology

1. What is the radius of curvature confusion?

The radius of curvature confusion refers to a common misunderstanding about the concept of radius of curvature in geometry and physics. It is often confused with the concept of curvature, leading to incorrect interpretations and calculations.

2. How is radius of curvature different from curvature?

The radius of curvature is the distance between the center of a circle and a point on its circumference, while curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from a straight line. In other words, the radius of curvature is a specific value for a specific point on a curve, while curvature is a general measure of the overall shape of a curve.

3. What causes the confusion between radius of curvature and curvature?

The confusion often arises because both concepts involve the measurement of a curve. Additionally, the radius of curvature is sometimes referred to as simply "curvature" in everyday language, adding to the confusion.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes with radius of curvature?

To avoid confusion, it is important to understand the difference between the two concepts and use the correct terminology. It is also helpful to visualize the concept of radius of curvature as the radius of a circle drawn at a specific point on a curve.

5. In what fields is the concept of radius of curvature important?

The concept of radius of curvature is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate the curvature of lenses in optics, the curvature of roads and tracks in transportation engineering, and the curvature of curves in mathematics and geometry.