Clarification on tension problem

• Thread starter Xari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses trouble with solving a problem involving trigonometry. The person had found a solution online, but was having difficulty understanding why the acceleration of mass A was calculated as mg * sin(theta). They questioned the use of this formula and how it relates to the force of tension. Ultimately, they were confused about the application of trigonometry in this problem.
Xari
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I'm having trouble solving this problem. I did Google the solution with the steps, which I managed to actually get right in all aspects except for a small part in the trigonometry that throws me off.

0332207068.png

I drew my FBD's correctly, hopefully. I'm not sure how I can draw nice looking FBDs online, but here goes.

b9c027fdfb.jpg

In the solution it says that the acceleration of mass A is mg * sin (theta). Why is that so? I thought that we're trying to get gravity's force on the object with the formula: sin (theta) = (mA * g) / hypotenuse ----------->
hypotenuse = (mA * g) / sin (theta). That way we'd get the force in the direction opposite to the force of tension, which is caused by mB * g?

If I'm not wrong, isn't sin (theta = opp / hypotenuse? How did they get sin (theta) * mAg when that isn't even feasible in the trigonometry equation of sin(theta) = (mAg)/hypotenuse?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Xari, :welcome:

Xari said:
it says that the acceleration of mass A is mg * sin (theta).
It says the acceleration is along the inclined plane, the x-axis therefore. The equations shown are in terms of force, not acceleration.
Xari said:
If I'm not wrong, isn't sin (theta = opp / hypotenuse
You are not wrong. Project mg onto the inclined plane and you'll see ##\theta## sitting there
upload_2016-5-8_23-26-22.png

Likes Xari
BvU said:
Hi Xari, :welcome:It says the acceleration is along the inclined plane, the x-axis therefore. The equations shown are in terms of force, not acceleration.
You are not wrong. Project mg onto the inclined plane and you'll see ##\theta## sitting there
View attachment 100463
Omg that makes me so angry. Trig is so slippery!

Related to Clarification on tension problem

1. What is a tension problem in science?

A tension problem in science refers to a situation where opposing forces are acting on an object or system, causing it to experience stress or strain. This can occur in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What causes tension problems?

Tension problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces acting on an object or internal forces within a system. Examples include pulling on a rope, stretching a rubber band, or the contraction and expansion of muscles in the human body.

3. How do scientists address tension problems?

To address tension problems, scientists use various methods and techniques such as mathematical equations, physical models, and experimental data. They also consider factors such as the properties of the materials involved, the magnitude and direction of forces, and the environment in which the tension is occurring.

4. What are some examples of tension problems in everyday life?

Tension problems can occur in many everyday situations, such as when you tie a knot in a shoelace, lift a heavy object, or play a musical instrument. In these cases, tension is necessary for the desired outcome, but too much or too little tension can cause problems.

5. Why is understanding tension important in science?

Understanding tension is crucial in science because it helps us analyze and predict the behavior of objects and systems under different conditions. It also allows us to design and create structures and devices that can withstand tension and optimize their performance.