Clarification on position equation for simple harmonic motion

In summary: Yes, amplitude represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point and it is convention to set t=0 at the max amplitude, which is why we use cosine in the position equation.In summary, the position wave equation describes the motion of an oscillator using the cosine function. The width of the wave is called the wavelength and frequency is a measure of how many complete cycles the oscillator has made in a set unit of time. SHM is an idealized wave with no damping or friction. The symbols omega and frequency are used interchangeably, with omega representing the angular frequency and frequency being the inverse of the period. The amplitude of the wave represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point and it is convention to set t=0 at the max amplitude, hence
darryw
I have 4 quick questions about the position wave equation, x = Acos(omega*t + delta), can someone please explain this (in very simple language) thanks!

1. Why do we have to use cos? why not sin? wouldn't sine be better so that amplitude starts at zero also? using cos must make things easier, but i don't see why?

2. Is "width" the distance between any two peaks or troughs of the wave? Is this the same as frequency of wave? (if its now, then what is the correct term for width?)

3. doesn't A gradually decrease over time ( this is obvious from intuition) and if so, then why are the waveforms always drawn with uniform amplitude? (is this just an idealized wave (no friction or damping)? AKA: SIMPLE harmonic motion?

4 how do we differentiate between small greek letters and big? for eg, delta looks totally different when small vs big, so what do we say "small delta" or "capital delta" or what? seems confusing..

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I have no idea. One possibility is that Re(exp(i*theta)) is cos(theta) and when you are doing superpositions you can use the identity cosA+cosB=2cos(a+b/2)cos(a-b/2) to add your two waves like thus:

exp(i(A)) + exp(i(B)) = 2exp(i(A+B/2))exp(i(A-B/2)) = 2exp(i(A+B/2)+(A-B/2))
(or something like that)

Also, when you do superpositions, often the greatest amplitude is right at the zero point and gradually lessens as you go further.

(Could someone else chime in on this one?)

2) Yes, but it's called wavelength.

3) Not in simple harmonic motion, since the definition of which is motions with no dampening or 'driving' (thanks wiki).

4) No idea. I think most people would call a capitol delta a delta the same as a lowercase delta.

darryw said:
I have 4 quick questions about the position wave equation, x = Acos(omega*t + delta), can someone please explain this (in very simple language) thanks!

1. Why do we have to use cos? why not sin? wouldn't sine be better so that amplitude starts at zero also? using cos must make things easier, but i don't see why?
You don't have to use the cos function ,The sin function can describe the motion also. The use of cos is more standard because cos(0)=1 which makes a lots of things cleaner.
darryw said:
2. Is "width" the distance between any two peaks or troughs of the wave? Is this the same as frequency of wave? (if its now, then what is the correct term for width?)
It is called wavelength. Note that SHM is not the description of a wave just of an oscillator.Frequency is a measure of how many complete cycles the oscillator has made in a set unit of time .
darryw said:
3. doesn't A gradually decrease over time ( this is obvious from intuition) and if so, then why are the waveforms always drawn with uniform amplitude? (is this just an idealized wave (no friction or damping)? AKA: SIMPLE harmonic motion?
SHM is an idealization. In reality there is always some damping. You study SHM first because it is easy and useful.if you take a more advanced class in waves you will study the effects of damping.
darryw said:
4 how do we differentiate between small greek letters and big? for eg, delta looks totally different when small vs big, so what do we say "small delta" or "capital delta" or what? seems confusing..thanks for any help
Small deltas are used for partial derivatives. Capital Deltas are used to express small nonzero changes or displacements. Nobody really says delta. you just write it down and expect everyone to Know what you want to say.

Thanks for replies.. just have another question about the correct symbol for frequency:

textbook says frequency of a spring is omega = root k/m.
but then it says frequency is the inverse of the period, written like this: f = 1/T
please explain why they use both symbols to mean frequency?? thanks

darryw said:
Thanks for replies.. just have another question about the correct symbol for frequency:

textbook says frequency of a spring is omega = root k/m.
but then it says frequency is the inverse of the period, written like this: f = 1/T
please explain why they use both symbols to mean frequency?? thanks

Omega is the angular frequency. it represents how many complete rotation cycles your vector has made per unit time. [tex]\omega=2\pi\cdot f[/tex]
[tex]\ T=1/f[/tex]
Look here for more details
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/hframe.html

"doesnt A gradually decrease over time ( this is obvious from intuition) and if so, then why are the waveforms always drawn with uniform amplitude? (is this just an idealized wave (no friction or damping)? AKA: SIMPLE harmonic motion?'

The answer given above is correct...if you want a gradually decreasing amplitude, one uses a term like
e-t or 1/t as an example...

Is all of this correct (this is in my own words):

In SHM graph of an oscillating spring, when the y-axis is positive the spring is stretching beyond its EQ point.
The EQ point is where the spring comes to rest with no forces acting on it .
When y-axis is negative, the spring is compressing.
Amplitude represents the spring's max and min displacement from the EQ point.
It is convention to set t=0 at the waveforms max amplitude, this is why we use cosine in the position equation.

Yup, that's right.

One thing tho, it doesn't matter (mathematically, in this case) if you consider the spring stretching or compressing at the positive y-axis. But you have the idea.

darryw said:
Is all of this correct (this is in my own words):

In SHM graph of an oscillating spring, when the y-axis is positive the spring is stretching beyond its EQ point.
Yes.
darryw said:
The EQ point is where the spring comes to rest with no forces acting on it .
The mass on the spring is not at rest at the equilibrium. Only the accelerations is 0.
darryw said:
When y-axis is negative, the spring is compressing.
Yes but this is due to the choice of coordinates.
darryw said:
Amplitude represents the spring's max and min displacement from the EQ point.
It is convention to set t=0 at the waveforms max amplitude, this is why we use cosine in the position equation.
Yes.

Related to Clarification on position equation for simple harmonic motion

What is the position equation for simple harmonic motion?

The position equation for simple harmonic motion is x = Acos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase constant.

How is the position equation derived?

The position equation for simple harmonic motion is derived from the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in terms of time and the restoring force of the system.

What is the significance of the amplitude in the position equation for simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position and is a measure of the energy of the system.

What does the angular frequency represent in the position equation for simple harmonic motion?

The angular frequency represents the rate at which the system oscillates and is related to the frequency by ω = 2πf.

Can the position equation be used for all types of simple harmonic motion?

Yes, the position equation can be used for all types of simple harmonic motion, as long as the motion is periodic and has a restoring force proportional to displacement.