Claiming ignorance is reason for a warning?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker sharing derivations of the Shcrodinger equation and expressing uncertainty about their accuracy. They were then warned for potentially spreading misinformation, but questioned why it was considered as such when they had stated their uncertainty. The suggestion was made to privately message the person who issued the warning for further discussion. The thread was ultimately locked due to the specific nature of the issue.
Schrodinger's Dog
I stated that I'd seen some derivations of the Shcrodinger equation so I put them up and made it clear I had no idea if they were correct, they were wrong and kindly Jtbell explained why? I got warned for it? Why? I was only asking a question, it's not misinformation if you clearly state that you have no idea whether it is correct; can anyone explain to me where and in what way this is misinformation? Honestly admitting that it could be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably PM jtbell, if he gave you the warning.

Since this is an issue over a warning, and not something generally relevant to others on the board, I'm going to lock this thread. Please contact the mentor who issued the warning if you would like further clarification or wish to dispute it.

Related to Claiming ignorance is reason for a warning?

1. What does it mean to claim ignorance?

Claiming ignorance means to state that you are not aware or knowledgeable about a particular topic or situation.

2. Is claiming ignorance a valid reason for a warning?

In some cases, claiming ignorance may be accepted as a reason for a warning, but it ultimately depends on the specific circumstances and the severity of the situation.

3. Can claiming ignorance be used as an excuse to avoid consequences?

No, claiming ignorance should not be used as an excuse to avoid consequences. It is important to take responsibility for one's actions and to make an effort to educate oneself in order to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.

4. How can claiming ignorance affect one's credibility?

Claiming ignorance can have a negative impact on one's credibility, as it may suggest a lack of responsibility or effort in staying informed or knowledgeable about a certain topic.

5. What are some alternatives to claiming ignorance?

Instead of claiming ignorance, one can admit to not knowing or understanding something and make an effort to learn more about it. It is also important to ask for clarification or seek guidance when unsure about a particular topic or situation.