Civil Engineering - Help Understanding Level Surveying Misclosure Error

In summary, the author is trying to understand the closing error of a Level Survey in civil engineering. They started the survey on a Temporary Bench Mark (TBM), took several readings of point of interest and several change points, and ended the survey back onto the original TBM. After reducing the levels and applying the equation ∑Back sight - ∑Foresight = Last Reduce Level – First Reduce Level, they found that if the left hand side was equal to the right hand side then there was no arithmetic mistake made. If however one side was not equal to the other then an arithmetic mistake was made when reducing the levels. They have attached their survey data, and are asking for help.
tomtomtom1
Hello all

I am trying to understand the closing error of a Level Survey in civil engineering.

I have carried out a survey of a highway, I started the survey on a Temporary Bench Mark (TBM), I took several readings of point of interest and several change points. I ended the survey back onto the original TBM.

I have read that a simple calculation to check if an arithmetic mistake was made is to use the following equation:-

∑Back sight - ∑Foresight = Last Reduce Level – First Reduce Level

My first question is this:- am I correct in thinking that if the left hand side is equal to the right hand side then NO arithmetic mistake was made. If however one side was not equal to the other then an arithmetic mistake was made when reducing the levels.

My second question is this:- if after reducing the levels and applying the above formula the values for the left and right side was 0 then does this mean that there was no arithmetic error AND there is no misclosure error?

My final question is this:- in my survey the final reading was 150. After which I carried out a series of change points so that I could close back to my TBM. I chose to use the same change points to fly back to my TBM as I did when I began the survey, I did this so that I could compare my readings. But I have noticed that when I compare my change point reduce level values the values differ i.e.

Survey Station Initial RD Level Fly Back Reduce Level Diff
TBM 10000 9999 -1
40 (CP) 9100 9105 5
80 (CP) 9673 9678 5
120 (CP) 10019 10019 0

What I do not understand is if my misclosure is just -1 which is the difference from my start TBM reduce level and my end TBM reduce level then why do we not factor in the difference between the initial change point reduce levels and the fly back change point reduce levels??

Attached my survey data, can anyone help?

Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

• Misclosure Error In Surveying.pdf
    29.5 KB · Views: 937
Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds like a legitimate question from 2012, so I am bumping it.

Can anyone help?

Related to Civil Engineering - Help Understanding Level Surveying Misclosure Error

1. What is Level Surveying Misclosure Error?

Level surveying misclosure error is the difference between the recorded elevation at a given point and the actual elevation at that point. It is a common error in civil engineering that can occur due to a variety of factors such as human error, equipment malfunction, or natural changes in the environment.

2. How is Level Surveying Misclosure Error calculated?

The level surveying misclosure error is calculated by taking the difference between the measured elevation and the true elevation at a given point. This value is then compared to the acceptable margin of error, which is typically determined by the project requirements or industry standards.

3. What are some common causes of Level Surveying Misclosure Error?

Some common causes of level surveying misclosure error include errors in measuring instruments, incorrect calibration of equipment, poor weather conditions, and human error such as misreading or recording data incorrectly. It can also be caused by changes in the environment, such as settling of the ground or natural shifts in elevation.

4. How can Level Surveying Misclosure Error be minimized?

To minimize level surveying misclosure error, it is important to use high-quality measuring equipment that is regularly calibrated and maintained. Additionally, careful planning and execution of the surveying process, as well as proper training for surveyors, can help to reduce errors. It is also important to regularly check for and correct any potential sources of error, such as incorrect instrument setup or environmental changes.

5. What are the implications of Level Surveying Misclosure Error on a construction project?

Level surveying misclosure error can have significant implications on a construction project, as it can lead to inaccurate measurements and calculations. This can result in delays, increased costs, and potential safety hazards. It is important for civil engineers to carefully monitor and address any misclosure errors to ensure the accuracy and success of the project.