Cirular Motion - car on a circular ramp

In summary, the question is asking for the normal force exerted by the seat of a circular ramp on a 1200 kg car with a speed of 5 m/s at the top of the ramp. The correct answer is option C) 11250 N, calculated using the equations ∑F=ma and ac = m v^2 /r. The mistake in the original attempt was not accounting for the direction of the forces correctly.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car has a speed of 5 m/s at the top of a circular ramp of 10 m in radius. The normal force exerted by the seat of the ramp on the car is :
A) 9000N B) 9600 N C)11250 N D)13650 N E)14150 N

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
ac = m v^2 /r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to answer this question but the problem is I don't know where I made the mistake. This is my tried :
∑F = ma = m v^2 /r = N - mg
N = 1200 * 5^2 / 10 + 1200*10
N = 15000 N
So can you check please if it's correct or not ?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car has a speed of 5 m/s at the top of a circular ramp of 10 m in radius. The normal force exerted by the seat of the ramp on the car is :
A) 9000N B) 9600 N C)11250 N D)13650 N E)14150 N

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
ac = m v^2 /r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to answer this question but the problem is I don't know where I made the mistake. This is my tried :
∑F = ma = m v^2 /r = N - mg
N = 1200 * 5^2 / 10 + 1200*10
N = 15000 N
So can you check please if it's correct or not ?
Thank you.
It is not correct. Check the direction of the individual forces.

ehild said:

Does this question look right to you?

Likes ehild
ehild said:
Got it . Thank you

Fatima Hasan said:
Got it . Thank you
My answer would be ##0N##. But that's not an option!

Sorry, I just realized the car is on top of the ramp! I wonder how it got there?

Last edited:

Related to Cirular Motion - car on a circular ramp

1. What is circular motion and how is it related to a car on a circular ramp?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. In the context of a car on a circular ramp, circular motion refers to the car's constant change in direction as it moves around the curved surface of the ramp.

2. What forces are acting on a car when it is on a circular ramp?

There are two main forces acting on a car on a circular ramp: the centripetal force and the weight force. The centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the car moving along the curved surface. The weight force, on the other hand, is directed towards the center of the Earth and is responsible for the car's downward motion.

3. How does the speed of the car affect its circular motion on the ramp?

The speed of the car directly affects its circular motion on the ramp. A higher speed means the car has a greater momentum, which requires a larger centripetal force to keep it on the curved path. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also needs to increase, otherwise the car will lose control and veer off the ramp.

4. What is the relationship between the radius of the ramp and the car's circular motion?

The radius of the ramp is directly related to the car's circular motion. As the radius decreases, the curvature of the ramp increases and the car needs to travel at a higher speed to maintain its circular motion. On the other hand, a larger radius means a less curved ramp and the car can travel at a lower speed while still maintaining its circular motion.

5. How does the angle of the ramp affect the car's circular motion?

The angle of the ramp, or the steepness of the curved surface, also affects the car's circular motion. A steeper ramp requires a higher speed to maintain circular motion, while a gentler ramp can be traveled at a lower speed. This is because the steeper ramp has a smaller radius, which requires a greater centripetal force to maintain circular motion.