Circulation & Flux: Confirmation Needed | Differentiate1

In summary, The conversation discusses confirmation of vector fields, finding flux without given boundaries, and the relationship between line and surface integrals. The question for part 2) is unclear as it mentions both a line and surface integral without a given curve. However, it is possible to relate the two through integral theorems in vector calculus.
Differentiate1
Here's my work: http://i.imgur.com/9ik31P5.png

I need confirmation that the vector fields I found for parts 1) and 2) are correct. I also need to figure out how to find the flux in part 2) when the problem doesn't give any boundaries to evaluate. For part 1), the answer can be found by concluding that the vector field F is conservative (zero circulation).

Thanks in advance,

Differentiate1

Physics news on Phys.org
your answer for part 1) looks good to me. For part 2), I really don't understand the question. It says to imagine integral ##I## as a flux integral for a vector field ##F## but that doesn't make any sense, because integral ##I## is definitely a line integral, as you used it in part 1). The integral ##I## can't be both a line integral and a surface integral, so I don't know what is happening there.

Likes 1 person
Well, you can in fact relate a surface integral and a line integral along its closed boundary curve. Just think about the integral theorems of vector calculus :-).

hmm. That's true. But the thing that is being related is only the curve. In the question, there is no curve given. So there is nothing to relate.

Related to Circulation & Flux: Confirmation Needed | Differentiate1

1. What is circulation and flux?

Circulation and flux refer to the movement or flow of a substance, such as fluid or electricity, through a closed loop or system. Circulation is the overall movement of the substance, while flux is the rate of flow per unit area.

2. How are circulation and flux related?

Circulation and flux are closely related as flux is a measure of circulation. The greater the circulation, the higher the flux will be. In other words, the more a substance moves through a system, the faster the rate of flow will be.

3. What factors affect circulation and flux?

There are several factors that can affect circulation and flux, including the size and shape of the system, the properties of the substance, and any external forces or constraints. For example, a larger system or a more viscous substance may lead to slower circulation and flux.

4. How is circulation and flux measured?

Circulation and flux can be measured using various techniques, depending on the substance and the system being studied. For fluids, techniques such as flow meters or velocity probes can be used. For electrical current, devices like ammeters or voltmeters can measure the flux.

5. Why is confirmation needed for circulation and flux?

Confirmation is needed for circulation and flux measurements to ensure accuracy and validity of the results. This is particularly important in scientific research, where precise measurements are necessary for drawing conclusions and making predictions. Confirmation also allows for any errors or discrepancies to be identified and corrected.