Circular motion with friction differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a changing speed and friction in a circular motion. The equations F=ma, ac=v^2/r, f=uN, v=v0+at, and w=v/r are mentioned, but the attempt at a solution leads to a circular situation. The correct expression for acceleration is needed in order to solve the problem.
wololo

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

F=ma
ac=v^2/r
f=uN
v=v0+at
w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

v=v0+at
v=vo+umv^2/r
v^2(u/r)-v+vo=0

I don't see what differential equation i could use since the speed is dependent on the friction (equal to friction coeff times centripetal force) which in it's turn is also dependent on the speed

Physics news on Phys.org
Your v=v0+at equation only applies for constant acceleration. It will not be.

As i understand this problem, the centripetal force, which points towards the center of the ring, equals the normal force. In that case, the friction would be equal to a coefficient times the centripetal force. When the speed changes (due to friction), the centripetal force will change (mv^2/r) and so will the normal. However since the speed is dependent on the friction which in turn is dependent on the speed, I seem to be stuck in a circular situation. Would anyone have advice to help me find the relation that will allow me to express v? Thanks!

image.jpg

my solution gives me v instead of v0 in the denominator. Is there a typo in the statement? Thanks

You used the expression v = vo - atant which is not applicable, as haruspex pointed out.

You found atan = μv2/R. Express the acceleration on the left side in terms of the rate of change of the speed.

Related to Circular motion with friction differential equation

1. What is circular motion with friction differential equation?

Circular motion with friction differential equation is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of an object moving in a circular path with frictional forces acting upon it. It takes into account the variables of mass, velocity, and friction coefficient to determine the equation of motion for the object.

2. How do you solve a circular motion with friction differential equation?

To solve a circular motion with friction differential equation, you must first determine the forces acting on the object, such as gravity and friction. From there, you can use Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, to create a differential equation. You can then use mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or substitution, to solve the equation and find the object's position and velocity at any given time.

3. What is the role of friction in circular motion with friction differential equation?

Friction plays a crucial role in circular motion with friction differential equation as it is one of the main forces acting on the object. Friction is a resistive force that opposes the motion of an object and is dependent on the surface properties of the object and the surface it is moving on. In circular motion, friction can cause the object to slow down or change its direction, leading to a change in the equation of motion.

4. Can circular motion with friction differential equation be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, circular motion with friction differential equation can be applied to real-world situations. This equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model the motion of objects, such as cars on a curved track or a satellite orbiting the Earth. By using this equation, scientists and engineers can make predictions about the behavior of objects in circular motion and design systems that can function efficiently.

5. What are some limitations of circular motion with friction differential equation?

One limitation of circular motion with friction differential equation is that it assumes a constant friction coefficient and does not take into account changes in surface properties or other factors that may affect the friction force. Additionally, this equation may not accurately model the behavior of objects in extremely high-speed or high-friction situations. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations and use other models or techniques when necessary.