Circular Motion (standing on a carousel)

In summary, the person has an acceleration of 0.7 m/s2 when she is standing 3.8 m from the axis. When she then moves to a distance of 2.1 m from the carousel center and the carousel keeps rotating with the same period, her speed is 1.63 m/s.)
dragonladies1
Hi again,

I'm sorry for all of the questions in this section. I am having the worst time trying to understand how to set up the problems. I know the equation for acceleration is a= V^2/r; however for this problem I am looking to find the velocity and time. Again, I would appreciate any kind of help possible.

What are the period and speed of a person on a carousel if the person has an acceleration with a magnitude of 0.7 m/s2 when she is standing 3.8 m from the axis?

What are her acceleration magnitude and speed if she then moves to a distance of 2.1 m from the carousel center and the carousel keeps rotating with the same period?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dragonladies1! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Just apply your v2/r formula (and use v = ωr). :smile:

Thank you. Using my v2/r formula I came up with 55.63 and I"m not sure what the other formula is. My teacher hasn't mentioned anything using omega.

oh, it's just the fairly obvious formula that if your radius is r cm, and your angular speed is ω radians per second, then your actual speed (tangential) is ωr cm per second. :smile:

(and the period is 2π/ω seconds)

Ok, so I determined that the speed is 1.63, but I don't know why I can't figure out how to find the period for my problem. I plugged in

Period= 2π/.43=14.65.

Is this correct?

dragonladies1 said:
Ok, so I determined that the speed is 1.63, but I don't know why I can't figure out how to find the period for my problem. I plugged in

Period= 2π/.43=14.65.

Is this correct?

Yup! :biggrin:

(or 14.64)

(The reason why it's 2π/(angular speed) is because the period T is the time it takes to go 2π: so (angular) speed = (angular) distance over time, so ω = 2π/T. wink:)

Related to Circular Motion (standing on a carousel)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point.

2. How does circular motion occur on a carousel?

On a carousel, circular motion is created by the rotation of the platform around a central axis, causing the riders to move in a circular path while remaining at a constant distance from the center.

3. What causes the sensation of centrifugal force on a carousel?

The sensation of centrifugal force on a carousel is caused by the inertia of the riders. As the platform rotates, the riders want to continue moving in a straight line, but the platform and the floor of the carousel push them towards the center, creating the feeling of being pulled outward.

4. Why do riders on a carousel feel like they are being pushed outward?

This is due to the combination of centrifugal force and the force of gravity. As the riders move in a circular path, they experience a force pushing them outward, while gravity is pulling them downward towards the center. This creates the feeling of being pushed outward.

5. How does the speed of the carousel affect the riders' experience of circular motion?

The speed of the carousel affects the riders' experience of circular motion by increasing the centrifugal force and the sense of being pushed outward. The faster the carousel rotates, the greater the force pushing the riders outward, resulting in a more intense sensation of circular motion.