Circular Motion. Roller-coaster mass of car and max speed

In summary, a roller-coaster car travels down a hill past point A and up a hill past point B. At point A, the car has a speed of 20 m/s and a normal force of 2.06x10^4N. The mass of the car can be calculated using the equations for circular motion. At point B, the maximum speed for the car to stay on the track is determined by the gravity force keeping it in centripetal motion. A free-body diagram can be used to help solve for this speed.
AStupidHippo

Homework Statement

A roller-coaster car speeds down a hill pas point A and then rolls up a hill past point B.
A. Car speed = 20 m/s at point A. If the track exerts a normal force on the car of 2.06x10^4N at this point, what is the mass of the car? (account for gravitational force)
B. What is the maximum speed the car can have at point B for the gravitational force to hold it on the track?
Diagram(I made it myself): http://gyazo.com/0415a6ba75f87f0229e08aab0f68fbe1

Homework Equations

Circular motion
Fc= (mv^2)/r
Fn-mg= (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
AStupidHippo said:

Homework Statement

A roller-coaster car speeds down a hill pas point A and then rolls up a hill past point B.
A. Car speed = 20 m/s at point A. If the track exerts a normal force on the car of 2.06x10^4N at this point, what is the mass of the car? (account for gravitational force)
B. What is the maximum speed the car can have at point B for the gravitational force to hold it on the track?
Diagram(I made it myself): http://gyazo.com/0415a6ba75f87f0229e08aab0f68fbe1

Homework Equations

Circular motion
Fc= (mv^2)/r
Fn-mg= (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely lost.
I don't know why you are lost because your relevant equations are quite relevant for part A, assuming point A is at the bottom of dip. Solve for m.

I should have clarified.We did most of A in class, B. is where I'm struggling at most.

AStupidHippo said:
I should have clarified.We did most of A in class, B. is where I'm struggling at most.
Ok, got it. For part B, the question asks for the max speed at point B if the only force in the vertical direction acting on the coaster at that point on the top of the curve is the gravity (weight) force that is keeping it on the track in centripetal motion, without flying off it. You should be able to manipulate your relevant equations to solve for that speed.

Can you draw a free-body diagram for the cart at point B to help you out? What forces are acting on the cart?

I don't think I can solve this problem using fn-mg=(mv^2)/r. The Ms would just cancel out?

"Can you draw a free-body diagram for the cart at point B to help you out? What forces are acting on the cart?"
It would be G only. Correct?
Jason Healy said:
Can you draw a free-body diagram for the cart at point B to help you out? What forces are acting on the cart?
It would be G only, correct?

AStupidHippo said:
I don't think I can solve this problem using fn-mg=(mv^2)/r. The Ms would just cancel out?
if only the gravity force is acting , what is fn? Let the m's cancel if they do. Now watch your signage. Draw a free body diagram. Net centripetal force is always in direction of the centripetal acceleration,

Related to Circular Motion. Roller-coaster mass of car and max speed

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path.

How is circular motion related to roller coasters?

Circular motion is a key component of roller coasters, as the cars must travel along a circular track to create the thrilling twists and turns of the ride.

What is the mass of a roller coaster car?

The mass of a roller coaster car can vary, but typically ranges from 1,000 to 2,000 kilograms.

How does the mass of a roller coaster car affect its speed?

The mass of a roller coaster car does not directly affect its speed, as the speed is primarily determined by the design and layout of the track. However, a heavier car may require more energy to reach and maintain high speeds.

What is the maximum speed of a roller coaster?

The maximum speed of a roller coaster can vary greatly, but many modern roller coasters can reach speeds of 70 to 80 miles per hour.