Circular Motion of a motorcycle

In summary, for a motorcycle to stay in a horizontal circular path on the inside surface of a vertical cylinder with a radius of 8 m and a coefficient of static friction of 0.9, it must travel at a speed of approximately 9.333 m/s. This can be calculated using the formula v = √(gr/μ) where g is the gravitational constant, r is the radius, and μ is the coefficient of static friction. Alternatively, the problem can be solved by finding the sum of forces in the y direction and setting it equal to the centripetal force, resulting in the same answer.
clipperdude21
Circular Motion! :)

1. 12. A motorcycle moves in a horizontal circular path on the inside surface of a vertical
cylinder of a radius 8 m. Assuming that the coefficient of static friction between the
wheels of the motorcycle and the wall is 0.9, how fast must the motorcycle move so that
it stays in the horizontal path?

2. Fc=mv^2/R, Force friction= uN, Fg=mg

3. The way I did it was I did the sum of forces in the y direction as sum of forces in the y direction=uN-mg=0. I solved for N and got N=mg/u.

I then plugged it into Force centripetal=N. I got mv^2?r= mg/u. I solved for v and got +/- 9.333 m/s. Did I do this right? :) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the answer is correct. In this case the motorcyclist could travel in either direction with the same magnitude of tangential velocity.

A more straightforward approach to the problem would be to realize that

[tex]\mu \frac{mv^2}{r}\,=\,mg[/tex] and the m's divide out so

[tex]\mu \frac{v^2}{r}\,=\,g[/tex] or

[tex]v\,=\,\sqrt{\frac{gr}{\mu}}[/tex]

Yes, you have correctly applied the equations for circular motion and forces to solve for the speed of the motorcycle. Your solution of +/- 9.333 m/s is correct. However, it is important to note that since the motorcycle is moving in a circular path, the velocity must always be positive and in the direction of the motion. So the correct answer would be 9.333 m/s. Additionally, it is important to consider the direction of the forces when solving for circular motion problems. In this case, the force of friction is acting towards the center of the circle, while the force of gravity is acting downwards. Therefore, the equations should be written as Fc = mv^2/R, Ffriction = uN, and Fg = mg. Overall, you have correctly applied the concepts of circular motion and forces to solve for the speed of the motorcycle in this scenario.

Related to Circular Motion of a motorcycle

1. What is circular motion of a motorcycle?

The circular motion of a motorcycle refers to the movement of the motorcycle along a circular path. This type of motion occurs when the motorcycle is turning or going around a curve.

2. What causes a motorcycle to experience circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by the balance between the centrifugal force, which pushes the motorcycle away from the center of the curve, and the centripetal force, which keeps the motorcycle from flying off the curve.

3. How does the speed of a motorcycle affect its circular motion?

The speed of the motorcycle affects the amount of centrifugal force experienced. The faster the motorcycle is moving, the more centrifugal force it will experience and the wider the curve it can make.

4. What factors can affect the stability of a motorcycle during circular motion?

The stability of a motorcycle during circular motion can be affected by factors such as the weight distribution of the motorcycle, the condition of the tires, and the angle of the curve. A well-balanced motorcycle with good tires and a gradual curve will have better stability.

5. How can a rider adjust the motorcycle's position to maintain circular motion?

A rider can adjust the motorcycle's position by leaning into the curve and shifting their body weight to counteract the centrifugal force. This helps to maintain balance and stability during circular motion.