Circular motion, friction and forces

In summary, you have been sick and may have fallen behind in your work. You have tried to calculate the maximum possible radial acceleration for circular motion, and found that it can be placed a maximum of 0.645r from the center without falling off.
hankrinsen
Homework Statement
A sylinder with a mass of 5kg is placed on a distance R from the rotation centre of a carousel. The carousel uses 2 seconds on one round. How far away from the centre can we place the sylinder without it falling of, given a friction number of 0.7 (maximum).
Relevant Equations
friction = μ*n
I am not really sure how to go about this. I have been sick for a couple of weeks and fallen behind a bit. Can anyone help me out please? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @hankrinsen, sorry to hear about that! Hope you're better now, and

:welcome:

Have you tried drawing a diagram of the setup?

1587294508169.png

This is attached to the assignment. English is my second language, so i might have misunderstood what you mean by diagram

Likes etotheipi
That's a good start; what forces are acting on the cylinder, and what are their magnitudes and directions? It is good practice to draw all the forces onto the diagram.

I have found that the sum of forces must be facing inwards towards the circle, And I have come to the conclusion that the friction is the centripetal force in this instance. The friction force should be the only force working here. Therefore I am confused as to how i calculate when the cylinder will fall of. Friction force should be 0.7*9.81*5 = 34.335N

I think height of the cylinder is also matter

wrobel said:
I think height of the cylinder is also matter
How? The height is not given

hankrinsen said:
I have found that the sum of forces must be facing inwards towards the circle, And I have come to the conclusion that the friction is the centripetal force in this instance. The friction force should be the only force working here. Therefore I am confused as to how i calculate when the cylinder will fall of. Friction force should be 0.7*9.81*5 = 34.335N

That's right, friction provides the centripetal force. The formula ##F = \mu N## you've given corresponds to the maximum possible frictional force (more generally we might say ##F \leq \mu N##).

So you've calculated the maximum centripetal force, and that must correspond to your highest possible radial acceleration. Since the angular velocity is fixed, that naturally corresponds to the highest possible radius.

What is the formula for radial acceleration for circular motion, and then can you apply ##F_r = ma_r##?

hankrinsen said:
How? The height is not given
the cylinder can topple over

etotheipi said:
That's right, friction provides the centripetal force. The formula ##F = \mu N## you've given corresponds to the maximum possible frictional force (more generally we might say ##F \leq \mu N##).

So you've calculated the maximum centripetal force, and that must correspond to your highest possible radial acceleration. Since the angular velocity is fixed, that naturally corresponds to the highest possible radius.

What is the formula for radial acceleration for circular motion, and then can you apply ##F_r = ma_r##?
So this means the highest possible radial acceleration must be 6.867 m/s^2.
The radial acceleration --> A=v^2/r ---> 6.367=v^2/r

To find velocity i find the circumference of one rotation and divide it by time. It takes 2 seconds to finish one rotation with a circumference of 2*pi*r, so the velocity is pi*r

I put it in the equation for max radial acceleration; 6.367 = ((pi*r)^2)/r ---> 6.367 = pi^2*r --> r = 6.367/pi^2

Which gives me that it can be put a maximum og 0.645r from the center without falling off? I might be way off here...

hankrinsen said:
So this means the highest possible radial acceleration must be 6.867 m/s^2.
The radial acceleration --> A=v^2/r ---> 6.367=v^2/r

To find velocity i find the circumference of one rotation and divide it by time. It takes 2 seconds to finish one rotation with a circumference of 2*pi*r, so the velocity is pi*r

I put it in the equation for max radial acceleration; 6.367 = ((pi*r)^2)/r ---> 6.367 = pi^2*r --> r = 6.367/pi^2

Which gives me that it can be put a maximum og 0.645r from the center without falling off? I might be way off here...

Most of this looks good, though I'm not sure why you included an ##r## in your final answer. You already gave that ##r = \frac{a_r}{{\pi}^2}##, and this should just give you a number. Also, make sure to use the unrounded value for ##a_r##, and try to avoid truncating the decimal too soon!

Notice also that ##a_r = \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{r^2 \omega^2}{r} = r \omega^{2}##; this last expression can be a little faster if you're dealing with time periods, where ##\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}##. But your consideration of time for one revolution is also perfectly valid.

In that way, I might have solved it like ##\mu N = mr\omega^2 \implies 0.7 \times 9.81 = r \times (\frac{2\pi}{2})^{2}##.

etotheipi said:
Most of this looks good, though I'm not sure why you included an ##r## in your final answer. You already gave that ##r = \frac{a_r}{{\pi}^2}##, and this should just give you a number. Also, make sure to use the unrounded value for ##a_r##, and try to avoid truncating the decimal too soon!

Notice also that ##a_r = \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{r^2 \omega^2}{r} = r \omega^{2}##; this last expression can be a little faster if you're dealing with time periods, where ##\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}##. But your consideration of time for one revolution is also perfectly valid.

In that way, I might have solved it like ##\mu N = mr\omega^2 \implies 0.7 \times 9.81 = r \times (\frac{2\pi}{2})^{2}##.
aha, i thought that since the distance from center is given as r in the assignment, i should give the answer as r aswell, since i can't really know if they are talking about meters or what..

hankrinsen said:
aha, i thought that since the distance from center is given as r in the assignment, i should give the answer as r aswell, since i can't really know if they are talking about meters or what..

Well in this case ##r## just represents a distance, and you can give a distance as a product of a certain number and a chosen unit. Since you did the calculation with other SI quantities, these units are going to simplify down to metres; however, so long as you're careful, you can give ##r## in whatever units you like.

Alright, thank you very much! I understand it a bit more now.

Related to Circular motion, friction and forces

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object's velocity is constantly changing due to a constant force acting towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the product of the object's mass, velocity, and the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts against the motion of an object that is already in motion.

4. How does friction affect circular motion?

Friction can act as a centripetal force in circular motion, helping to keep an object on its circular path. However, too much friction can also slow down the object's velocity and cause it to deviate from its circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include a car going around a roundabout, a planet orbiting around the sun, and a swinging pendulum. Other examples include a spinning top, a Ferris wheel, and a roller coaster loop.