Circular motion at the equator

In summary: Then by s = ut +1/2 gt^2...100 - 50 = 3.87 t +5t^2...t = 4.1s...distance at which the stone hit the ground = v*t = 3.87 * 4.1 = 15.9 m...but the answer is 122cm away...>_<
Clari
1. An object of mass 2.00kg is i)at the Poles, ii) at the Equator. Assuming the Earth is a perfect sphere of raius 6.4 x 10^6 m, caulculate the change in weight of the mass when taken from the Poles to the equator.

I solve it in this way: At the Poles, mg - R = mv^2 / r...R = mg - mv^2 / r...At the equator, R' = mv^2 / r...since reaction gives the sensatin of weight, change in weight of the mass = R- R'...= mg - 2mv^2 /r.....= 19.86N( I get v by concerning the mean angular speed of the Earth assuming it takes 24.0 hours to rotate about its axis)...But the answer is 0.068N...so there must be something wrong in my steps

2. An object of mass 0.5 kg is rotated in a horizontal circle by a string 1m long. The maximum tension in the string before it breaks is 50N. What is the greatest number of revolutions per second of the object?

I know the number of revolutions per second, T = 2pi root(l/g) = 1.99 s...sorry, am I missing something?

3.)A stone of mass 500 g is attached to a string of length 50m which will break if the tension in it exceeds 20 N. The stone is whirled in a vertical circle, the axis of rotation eing at a height of 100cm above the ground. The angular speed is very slowly increased until the string breaks. Where will the stone hit the ground?

first, I found the speed of the stone at which the string breaks. that is T - mg = mv^2 /r...20 - 0.5 *10 = 0.5 v^2 / 0.5...v = 3.87 m/s
then by s = ut +1/2 gt^2... 100 - 50 = 3.87 t +5t^2...t = 4.1s...distance at which the stone hit the ground = v*t = 3.87 * 4.1 = 15.9 m...but the answer is 122cm away...>_<

Please help...Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The North and South poles lie on the axis of rotation for the Earth. If you are on the axis of rotation, are you rotating?

Clari said:
1. An object of mass 2.00kg is i)at the Poles, ii) at the Equator. Assuming the Earth is a perfect sphere of raius 6.4 x 10^6 m, caulculate the change in weight of the mass when taken from the Poles to the equator.

I solve it in this way: At the Poles, mg - R = mv^2 / r...R = mg - mv^2 / r...At the equator, R' = mv^2 / r...since reaction gives the sensatin of weight, change in weight of the mass = R- R'...= mg - 2mv^2 /r.....= 19.86N( I get v by concerning the mean angular speed of the Earth assuming it takes 24.0 hours to rotate about its axis)...But the answer is 0.068N...so there must be something wrong in my steps
It may be clearer if you write the centripetal acceleration in terms of angular velocity: [itex]a_c = \omega^2 r[/itex], where r is the distance to the axis of rotation. At the equator, you have maximum centripetal acceleration (r = radius of earth); at the poles, r = 0.

2. An object of mass 0.5 kg is rotated in a horizontal circle by a string 1m long. The maximum tension in the string before it breaks is 50N. What is the greatest number of revolutions per second of the object?

I know the number of revolutions per second, T = 2pi root(l/g) = 1.99 s...sorry, am I missing something?
Not sure where you got that equation; it looks like the period of a simple pendulum. For this problem, get an approximate answer by assuming that the tension equals the centripetal force.

3.)A stone of mass 500 g is attached to a string of length 50m which will break if the tension in it exceeds 20 N. The stone is whirled in a vertical circle, the axis of rotation eing at a height of 100cm above the ground. The angular speed is very slowly increased until the string breaks. Where will the stone hit the ground?

first, I found the speed of the stone at which the string breaks. that is T - mg = mv^2 /r...20 - 0.5 *10 = 0.5 v^2 / 0.5...v = 3.87 m/s
It looks like you used the wrong radius. It should be 50m, not 0.5.

Related to Circular motion at the equator

1. What is circular motion at the equator?

Circular motion at the equator refers to the movement of an object in a circular path around the Earth's equator. The Earth's rotation causes this circular motion, and the speed of this motion is determined by the Earth's circumference and the time it takes to complete one rotation, which is approximately 24 hours.

2. Why is the circular motion at the equator important?

The circular motion at the equator is important because it affects various natural phenomena such as ocean currents, wind patterns, and the Earth's climate. It also has an impact on the accuracy of global positioning systems (GPS) and satellite orbits.

3. How does the circular motion at the equator impact gravity?

The circular motion at the equator does not have a significant impact on gravity itself. However, because the Earth is slightly flattened at the poles and bulging at the equator, objects at the equator experience a slightly weaker gravitational pull compared to objects at the poles.

4. Can the circular motion at the equator be observed?

Yes, the circular motion at the equator can be observed through the Coriolis effect, which is the deflection of moving objects (such as winds and ocean currents) due to the Earth's rotation. This effect is more noticeable at the equator due to the higher rotational speed compared to other latitudes.

5. How does the circular motion at the equator affect the length of a day?

The circular motion at the equator does not directly affect the length of a day, which is determined by the Earth's rotation. However, because the Earth's rotation is slightly affected by factors such as the Moon's gravitational pull, the length of a day at the equator can vary by a few milliseconds over time.