Circular membrane, PDE, separation of variables, coefficients.

In summary, the author is trying to solve for the oscillations of a circular membrane and is not sure of the following: u(a, \theta , t )=0 \Rightarrow \sum _{m=0}^\infty \sum _{n=1}^\infty \left(A_{mn}\cos c\lambda_{mn} t + B_{mn}\sin c\lambda_{mn} t\right)J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)(C_{mn}\cos m\theta + D_{mn} \sin m\theta)=0, \forall t and \forall \theta. In order to
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must find the oscillations of a circular membrane (drum-like).
1)With the boundary condition that the membrane is fixed at r=a.
2)That the membrane is free.

Homework Equations

The wave equation [itex]\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial t^2 } - c^2 \triangle u =0[/itex].
Separation of variables, [itex]u(r, \theta , t ) = R(r)\Theta (\theta ) T(t)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically followed wikipedia's article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrations_of_a_circular_membrane#The_general_case and reached exactly the same solution, namely [itex]u_{mn}(r, \theta, t) = \left(A\cos c\lambda_{mn} t + B\sin c\lambda_{mn} t\right)J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} r\right)(C\cos m\theta + D \sin m\theta)[/itex]. This would be the eigenfunctions. m goes from 0 to infinity (and is an integer) and n goes from 1 to infinity and is an integer too. Also [itex]\lambda _{mn}[/itex] is the n-th root of the Bessel function of the first kind of order m divided by the radius "a".
Now the solution that satisfies the boundary condition [itex]u(a ,\theta , t )=0[/itex] should be an infinite linear combination of the eigenfunctions. The problem is that I am not sure of the following:
[itex]u(a, \theta , t )=0 \Rightarrow \sum _{m=0}^\infty \sum _{n=1}^\infty \left(A_{mn}\cos c\lambda_{mn} t + B_{mn}\sin c\lambda_{mn} t\right)J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)(C_{mn}\cos m\theta + D_{mn} \sin m\theta)=0[/itex], [itex]\forall t[/itex] and [itex]\forall \theta[/itex].
In other words I am not sure whether there are so many constants and if there are 2 infinite series as I believe.
If this is right, I'd like some tip to get all those [itex]A_{mn}[/itex]'s, [itex]B_{mn}[/itex]'s, [itex]C_{mn}[/itex]'s and [itex]D_{mn}[/itex]'s. I do not see any trick to get them.

Edit: The infinite series result is pretty obvious because [itex]J_m(\lambda _{mn} a)[/itex] is the Bessel function evaluated in its zero, which gives zero. And this term appears in every term of the infinite series. Thus I do not know how to get the constants I'm looking for.
I've no idea how to find them.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
[itex]\lambda _{mn}[/itex] is the n-th root of the Bessel function of the first kind of order m divided by the radius "a".
[itex]\sum _{m=0}^\infty \sum _{n=1}^\infty \left(A_{mn}\cos c\lambda_{mn} t + B_{mn}\sin c\lambda_{mn} t\right)J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)(C_{mn}\cos m\theta + D_{mn} \sin m\theta)=0[/itex], [itex]\forall t[/itex] and [itex]\forall \theta[/itex].
Given that [itex]\lambda _{mn}[/itex] is the n-th root of Jm divided by the radius "a", what would the value of [itex]J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)[/itex] be?

haruspex said:
Given that [itex]\lambda _{mn}[/itex] is the n-th root of Jm divided by the radius "a", what would the value of [itex]J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)[/itex] be?

0 like I wrote in the edit part of my 1st post? This would imply that any value for A_{mn}, B_{mn}, etc. would work. Is this right?

fluidistic said:
0 like I wrote in the edit part of my 1st post?
Yes. (When did you do that? I don't think it was there when I made my post.)
This would imply that any value for A_{mn}, B_{mn}, etc. would work. Is this right?
Yes, all the possible values of the constants are solutions.

haruspex said:
Yes. (When did you do that? I don't think it was there when I made my post.)
Probably 2 minutes after writing my post.
Yes, all the possible values of the constants are solutions.
Oh wow, I'm surprised. I guess I should not and this basically mean that the waves can have any amplitude or something like that.
Thanks for the comment, I did not know.

fluidistic said:
Probably 2 minutes after writing my post.
Ok - I must have skimmed over it in reading. Sorry about that.

Related to Circular membrane, PDE, separation of variables, coefficients.

1. What is a circular membrane?

A circular membrane is a thin, flexible material that is stretched over a circular frame. It can vibrate and produce sound when struck or disturbed.

2. What is a PDE?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is used to model physical phenomena that vary in space and time.

3. How is separation of variables used in studying circular membranes?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve PDEs. In the case of circular membranes, it involves breaking down the solution into simpler functions that can then be combined to form the final solution.

4. What are coefficients in the context of circular membranes?

Coefficients refer to the numerical values that are multiplied by the variables in a PDE. In the case of circular membranes, these coefficients represent physical properties such as tension, density, and boundary conditions.

5. How do scientists use the concept of circular membranes and PDEs in their research?

Scientists use the study of circular membranes and PDEs in various fields such as acoustics, mechanical engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to model and understand the behavior of physical systems, allowing for the prediction and analysis of real-world phenomena.