[Circuits] Calculating the Thevenin Equivalent #1

In summary, the conversation is focused on finding the voltage between two points, (a) and (b), in a circuit with a 32V voltage source and several resistors. The problem is solved using nodal analysis and it is determined that with the load removed there will be no current flow through the 1 ohm resistor, resulting in the voltages at points (a) and (b) being equal.
ainster31

Homework Statement

a7zCn7r.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got ##R_{ th }=4\quad Ω## easily but I am having trouble finding ##V_{th}##. Assume the negative terminal of the 32V voltage source is ground. Here is the nodal analysis at node 1:

$$\frac { 32-V_{ 1 } }{ 4 } +2=\frac { V_{ 1 } }{ 12 } +V_{ 1 }-V_{ 2 }$$

But I only have one equation and there are two variables.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you remove the load RL, and after assigning a common reference node, there's only one essential node remaining. So you should have one equation in one unknown.

Note that with the load removed there will be no current flow through the 1 Ω resistor...

gneill said:
When you remove the load RL, and after assigning a common reference node, there's only one essential node remaining. So you should have one equation in one unknown.

Note that with the load removed there will be no current flow through the 1 Ω resistor...

Opps, I should've added that I'm trying to find the voltage between (a) and (b).

##V_1## is the voltage on the node in between the 4 ohm and 12 ohm resistor and ##V_2## is the voltage of (a). (b) is ground.

If there is no current flow through the 1 ohm resistor, does that mean that the voltage of ##V_1## and ##V_2## is the same?

ainster31 said:
Opps, I should've added that I'm trying to find the voltage between (a) and (b).

##V_1## is the voltage on the node in between the 4 ohm and 12 ohm resistor and ##V_2## is the voltage of (a). (b) is ground.

If there is no current flow through the 1 ohm resistor, does that mean that the voltage of ##V_1## and ##V_2## is the same?

Yup. No current means no potential drop.

Likes 1 person

I would recommend using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to solve for the Thevenin voltage, Vth. This law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. In this case, the closed loop can be formed by starting at the negative terminal of the 32V voltage source, going through the 4Ω resistor, the 12Ω resistor, and back to the negative terminal. This should give you the following equation:

-32 + Vth + 12(Vth-V2) + 4V2 = 0

From here, you can solve for Vth and then use the Thevenin theorem to find the equivalent circuit. Remember that the Thevenin voltage is the open circuit voltage at the terminals, so you can remove any loads or resistors connected to the circuit before solving for Vth.

I would also recommend double checking your nodal analysis equation to make sure it is set up correctly. It's always a good idea to have multiple methods for solving a problem in case one doesn't work out.

Related to [Circuits] Calculating the Thevenin Equivalent #1

1. What is the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is a simplified equivalent circuit that can replace a complex circuit while maintaining the same voltage and current characteristics at a specific node. It is useful for analyzing and understanding the behavior of a circuit without having to deal with its complex internal structure.

2. How do you calculate the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, you need to follow these steps:

1. Remove the load resistor from the circuit.

2. Calculate the open circuit voltage (Voc) by finding the voltage at the load resistor's terminals using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.

3. Calculate the equivalent resistance (Req) by removing all voltage and current sources and finding the resistance between the load resistor's terminals.

4. The Thevenin voltage (Vth) is equal to the open circuit voltage (Voc) and the Thevenin resistance (Rth) is equal to the equivalent resistance (Req).

3. What is the purpose of calculating the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The main purpose of calculating the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is to simplify a complex circuit and make it easier to analyze and understand. It also allows us to determine the maximum power that can be transferred from the circuit to the load resistor.

4. What if the circuit contains dependent sources?

If the circuit contains dependent sources, then the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit can still be calculated using the same steps as before. However, the equivalent resistance (Req) will be different because the dependent sources will affect the circuit's behavior. It is important to take this into account when calculating the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit.

5. Can the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit be used for all types of circuits?

No, the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the current-voltage relationship of all components in the circuit must be linear. Nonlinear components such as diodes and transistors cannot be included in the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit.