Circuits analysis with independent current source

In summary, the conversation is about KCL/KVL and the attempt at solving for v1, i4, and power in a circuit. After using KCL at the top node, the voltage was determined to be 5V, but this was incorrect. The person later realizes their mistake and offers to help with other problems if needed.
intelwanderer

Homework Statement

https://www.edx.org/static/content-mit-6002x/images/circuits/H1P2.79e52b492b94.png

Homework Equations

It's been a while since I've done KCL/KVL, could be that I'm being just being stupid.

I'm trying to find v1, i4, and the power in all the circuit elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just used KCL at the top node and got 5 as the voltage. I called the top node "A". A + (A-4)/3 = 8.

From there, I got that v1 equals 5 V because there is no resistor there(which is wrong), and the values of i1-3(16/3, 5, 1/3). i4 I GUESS is 1/3, but I don't think that is right. Power of the 1 ohm resistor is 25, and 1/3 for the 3 ohm resistor.

So apparently, I've screwed up. Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your work on the KCL: A + (A-4)/3 = 8. A=5 doesn't satisfy the equation.

Ah, I see. God, that was stupid. If I have more problems(probable), I'll post them on this thread.

Hey man! How did you find other problems? Can you give me solutions? please)

PM me. What problems are you having?

Related to Circuits analysis with independent current source

What is an independent current source?

An independent current source is a circuit element that maintains a constant current output regardless of the voltage across it or the components connected to it.

How do you analyze circuits with independent current sources?

To analyze a circuit with independent current sources, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to determine the current flowing through each branch of the circuit. You can also use nodal analysis or mesh analysis to solve for the voltages and currents in the circuit.

What is the purpose of using an independent current source in a circuit?

Independent current sources are often used in circuit designs to provide a constant and stable current for components such as LEDs or transistors. They can also be used to model real-world power sources, such as batteries or generators, in circuit simulations.

How do you calculate the voltage across an independent current source?

The voltage across an independent current source can be calculated using Ohm's Law. The voltage is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance of the source. However, in ideal independent current sources, the resistance is considered to be infinite, so the voltage across the source is typically assumed to be zero.

Can independent current sources be connected in series or parallel?

Yes, just like resistors, independent current sources can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. When connected in series, the current output of each source remains the same, while in parallel, the total current output will be the sum of the individual sources.