Circuit with dependent voltage source

In summary, when trying to solve for va in a circuit with a current controlled voltage source, it is best to write loop equations and use the sum of currents at node va. One can write one equation with one unknown or two equations with two unknowns, depending on the approach chosen. It is also important to correctly identify the components in the circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, and use the appropriate admittance or impedance values in the equations. Converting to Laplace equations can also be helpful in solving the circuit.
magnifik
I am trying to solve for va in the circuit below, which has a current controlled voltage source:
281u7bk.png

Given: v1 = 5u(t), K1 = -3, the circuit is not energized at t = 0

I began by writing loop equations for each of the three parts of the circuit. Then I realized I am not quite sure how to get va from the currents. I am wondering is there a better way to approach this problem? Or if I continue with the method I started with, how do I solve for va with the currents?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write just 1 equation with 1 unknown, Va, or 2 equations with 2 unknowns, Va and i2. The second approach is a bit safer. The result is exactly the same.

Just sum currents at node Va.

rude man said:
You can write just 1 equation with 1 unknown, Va, or 2 equations with 2 unknowns, Va and i2. The second approach is a bit safer. The result is exactly the same.

Just sum currents at node Va.

at node va is it correct that i1 = i2
i am still a little confused. after i solve for the currents (there are three of them in my method), how do i relate this to va?

No. What about the current going thru the 1 ohm & the 1F? i1 = that current plus i2.

OK I'll give it to you: i1 = Va/Z + i2. Now, what is Z?

rude man said:
No. What about the current going thru the 1 ohm & the 1F? i1 = that current plus i2.

OK I'll give it to you: i1 = Va/Z + i2. Now, what is Z?

Z is for the 1Ω resistor and 1F capacitor

rude man said:
Absolutely right. What is Z(s)?

Z(s) = (s+1)/s

rude man said:
Correct. What is i1(V1, Va)?

(va - v1) / (1 + (s || 1)) + va/((s+1)/s) ?
i1 = (va - v1)/1
not quite sure about this one

magnifik said:
(va - v1) / (1 + (s || 1)) + va/((s+1)/s) ?
i1 = (va - v1)/1
not quite sure about this one

Your first equation: since i1 = -(Va - V1)/Z1, it can't be right, can it?
where Z1 = 1 + s||1

Your 2nd equation: how on Earth did you get that?

rude man said:
Your first equation: since i1 = -(Va - V1)/Z1, it can't be right, can it?
where Z1 = 1 + s||1

Your 2nd equation: how on Earth did you get that?

i thought i1 was the current going through the resistor only, but then i realized it also goes through the parallel inductor/resistor. or is i1 = v1/R ? yup I'm confused. i meant to set va-v1/Z1 + va/((s+1)/s) = 0, but i am still failing to see the connection to i1

First, get i1(V1,Va) right. Until you get that right and understand it we can't go on.

Then: remember a ways back I gave you
i1 = Va/Z + i2?

What about i2? Look at the voltage across the right-hand 1 ohm, what is the voltage there?

rude man said:
First, get i1(V1,Va) right. Until you get that right and understand it we can't go on.

Then: remember a ways back I gave you
i1 = Va/Z + i2?

What about i2? Look at the voltage across the right-hand 1 ohm, what is the voltage there?

can i just do what i did originally - solve for the currents in each of the three loops. then use i1 = Va/Z + i2 to get the final answer?

my three loop equations were:
for the left loop
5 = 3ia - ib - ic + ∫(ia - ic) dt
for the top loop
0 = ib - ia + dib/dt
for the right loop
-3ia = 2ic - ia + ∫(ic - ia) dt

I'm real surprised you are using diff. eq's instead of Laplace. Are you supposed to do it purely using d.e.'s or do you go from the d.e.'s to the Laplace? BTW that's a good way to do it.

If you will tell me what ia, ib and ic are I can look further at it. I'm having a tough time trying to second-guess the loops. Please label the resistors R1, R2, R3 and R4 from left to right, and use L and C. Thanks.

In case you've lost interest by now: if your loop equations are correct, the answer is yes.
If you want me to check your final answer, I can.

Last edited:
rude man said:
I'm real surprised you are using diff. eq's instead of Laplace. Are you supposed to do it purely using d.e.'s or do you go from the d.e.'s to the Laplace? BTW that's a good way to do it.

If you will tell me what ia, ib and ic are I can look further at it. I'm having a tough time trying to second-guess the loops. Please label the resistors R1, R2, R3 and R4 from left to right, and use L and C. Thanks.

In case you've lost interest by now: if your loop equations are correct, the answer is yes.
If you want me to check your final answer, I can.

I start with diff eqs then convert to laplace. I will put my final answer once I do the work to find it.

EDIT: In my equations, i1 = ia, i2 = ic, ib is the loop current for the inductor/resistor in parallel

Last edited:
Just a tip, if the network is initially inactive (no capacitor charge or inductor current) then it's usually more straight-forward to just treat the components as Z(s) or Y(s).

For example, commponents in parallel are much more easily handled as admittances [ Y(s) ] than impedances. E.g. a capacitor and resistor in parallel is Y = G + sC where G = 1/R.

A voltage divider is equally well written as Y2/(Y1 + Y2) as Z1/(Z1 + Z2).

Etc. Idea is to make life as simple as possible. Avoid more mistakes that way too.

OK I'll see what you come up with.

rude man said:
Just a tip, if the network is initially inactive (no capacitor charge or inductor current) then it's usually more straight-forward to just treat the components as Z(s) or Y(s).

For example, commponents in parallel are much more easily handled as admittances [ Y(s) ] than impedances. E.g. a capacitor and resistor in parallel is Y = G + sC where G = 1/R.

A voltage divider is equally well written as Y2/(Y1 + Y2) as Z1/(Z1 + Z2).

Etc. Idea is to make life as simple as possible. Avoid more mistakes that way too.

OK I'll see what you come up with.

I'm trying to solve using your advice, though I used impedance rather than admittance. Is this a correct simplification?
2h7ez2e.png

Excellent! You're on your way. Now let's see you handle the current-controlled voltage source, and remember K = -3, not +3.

[Here's what I meant about Y vs. Z: the way I got the parallel impedance of the L and R is as follows: Y = G + 1/sL = (sLG+1)/sL where G = 1/R.

Z = 1/Y = sL/(sLG + 1).

That's easier, for me at least, than 1/Z = 1/R + sL etc. If L had been a C it would have been even nicer to go Y rather than Z. Then, get Z = 1/Y at the end. Don't be afraid to keep G's running around in your expressions rather than R's if it makes the math go easier.]

Last edited:

Related to Circuit with dependent voltage source

1. How does a dependent voltage source differ from an independent voltage source?

A dependent voltage source is a voltage source that is controlled by another element in the circuit, such as a current or voltage. Its output voltage is dependent on the input of another element, whereas an independent voltage source has a fixed output voltage regardless of other elements in the circuit.

2. What are the different types of dependent voltage sources?

The two main types of dependent voltage sources are voltage-controlled voltage sources (VCVS) and current-controlled voltage sources (CCVS). A VCVS uses a voltage signal to control its output voltage, while a CCVS uses a current signal to control its output voltage. Other types include voltage-controlled current sources (VCCS) and current-controlled current sources (CCCS).

3. Can dependent voltage sources be used in series or parallel with independent sources?

Yes, dependent voltage sources can be used in series or parallel with independent sources. They can also be used in series or parallel with other dependent sources, as long as they are controlled by different elements in the circuit.

4. How do you analyze a circuit with a dependent voltage source?

The analysis of a circuit with a dependent voltage source is similar to that of a circuit with an independent source. The only difference is that the output voltage of the dependent source is determined by the input of another element. This means that you must take into account the controlling element when solving for the voltage and current in the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of circuits with dependent voltage sources?

Circuits with dependent voltage sources are commonly used in electronic devices that require voltage regulation, such as amplifiers and power supplies. They are also used in sensors and transducers that convert physical quantities (such as temperature or pressure) into electrical signals. Additionally, dependent voltage sources are used in circuit simulation and analysis software to model complex circuits.