Circuit theory -- Conditions to balance a resistive bridge circuit

In summary, In this figure, if Zb and Zc were the same value then the voltage drop across them would be equal, likewise Za and Zd would also have to be the same value to have voltage Vx equal to Vy. However, if Zb and Zc are different values, then there will be current through Ze. Zc is the value that would balance the circuit (Vx=Vy).
CG139
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement

Establish the condition required to make the current through Ze in Figure 1 zero (i.e. For the voltage Vx to equal Vy).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm on the right line here, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if it's wrong...

If Zb and Zc were the same value then the voltage drop across them would be equal, likewise Za and Zd would also have to be the same value to have voltage Vx equal to Vy. In this condition there will be no current flowing through Ze.

Is my attempt correct or at least on the right path?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CG139. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

If Zb and Zc were the same value then the voltage drop across them would be equal, likewise Za and Zd would also have to be the same value to have voltage Vx equal to Vy. In this condition there will be no current flowing through Ze.
You've indicated here a special case of the more general right answer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to NO's statement, you have selected not only a special case but a VERY special case ... that is, it is NOT enough that Zb=Zc or that Za=Zd it would be necessary that BOTH of those conditions occur at the same time. This is a very special case indeed.

Think about the relationships between Za to Zb and Zc to Zd

That is, basically your statement

Is very limited. Specifically, "If Zb and Zc were the same value then the voltage drop across them would be equal" is a very limited case because it then REQUIRES that Za=Zd

phinds said:
Think about the relationships between Za to Zb and Zc to Zd
It is better to allow the poster some opportunity to think about the response, rather than leaping in and doing the thinking for him. In the long run, depriving a poster of the opportunity to review his own work is performing a disservice.

A little restraint can provide a poster the necessary time to process what his attention has been drawn to.

I know it's tempting to scramble to fill in what a previous poster has left unsaid. It was alluded to but left unstated for good reason.

NascentOxygen said:
It is better to allow the poster some opportunity to think about the response, rather than leaping in and doing the thinking for him. In the long run, depriving a poster of the opportunity to review his own work is performing a disservice.

A little restraint can provide a poster the necessary time to process what his attention has been drawn to.

I know it's tempting to scramble to fill in what a previous poster has left unsaid. It was alluded to but left unstated for good reason.
Yeah, you are right. I normally do that and in fact I sometimes chide others for not doing it. Thanks.

Thanks NascentOxygen and Phinds, this subject has had me scratching my head a lot and I'm not sure I've fully understood the replies. Do I just need to expand my statement to include that both conditions need to occur at the same time? When I wrote my original statement I was thinking that, i just didn't make it clear- will try harder.

Dear CG,

Can you write down an expression for Vx using the variables in this figure ?

Attachments

• V_divider.jpg
    V_divider.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 371
Hi BvU,

Vx = (Za / (Zb+Za)) *Vin

I struggled to get the format how I wanted it. I've tried to use Latex but don't think I can use it as I'm using a tablet rather than a laptop.

Last edited:
Very well. Now Vy in this picture:

Attachments

• V_div2.jpg
    V_div2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 362
Vy = (Zd / (Zc+Zd)) *Vin

Going back to your original diagram. Given these values, calculate ZC for the balance condition (i.e., no current through Ze)

ZA = 5k,
ZB = 3k
ZD = 12k
ZC = ?

Dear CG,

As O2 isn says more or less, we now go towards vx = vy.
Simply grab together vx = vy, #8 and #10. You see that Vin can be divided out.
That already gives you an adequate answer for the exercise. But it can be made more compact and more elegant by inverting on both sides and subtracting 1.

NascentOxygen,

Zc = (Zb * Zd) / Za

Zc = (3k * 12k) / 5k

Zc = 7.2k

These values would balance the circuit (Vx=Vy).BvU,

Sorry, but I don't fully understand #12. Apologies for my poor knowledge, I'm a long way from my comfort zone with this and the material from my Uni doesn't seem to help (not helped by the fact my maths is also poor).

By 'grab together' do you mean simplify to create one expression?Thanks to you both for your help so far, it is very much appreciated!

No need to apologize. Yes, grab together is an undiplomatic way to say: if x=u and y=v and x=y then u = v. Mathematicians might say "use symmetry and transitivity", physicists just grab :)

Vx = (Za / (Zb+Za)) *Vin (your post),
Vy = (Zd / (Zc+Zd)) *Vin (your post), and from the exercise wording:
Vx = Vy (we're not interested in either of these two, they just have to be equal)

"Grab together" is then luring you to write (Za / (Zb+Za)) *Vin = (Zd / (Zc+Zd)) *Vin
Vin in itself isn't all that interesting either, bringing us to (Za / (Zb+Za)) = (Zd / (Zc+Zd))

This time you have a general answer, not just something for a special case.
(a few pathological cases have to be excluded, though: Vin = 0, Zb+Za = 0, Zc+Zd=0; no big deal)

That (Za / (Zb+Za)) = (Zd / (Zc+Zd)) already is an adequate answer for the exercise. But it can be made more compact and more elegant by inverting on both sides and subtracting 1. That way you get an expression the exercise is really asking for.

CG139 said:
These values would balance the circuit (Vx=Vy).
Can you express the result in words? I'm still not sure that you recognize the general solution ...:nb)

Related to Circuit theory -- Conditions to balance a resistive bridge circuit

1. What is a resistive bridge circuit?

A resistive bridge circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is used to measure unknown resistance values by comparing them to known resistance values. It is made up of four resistors connected in a diamond shape, with the unknown resistance connected between two opposite points in the diamond.

2. How does a resistive bridge circuit work?

A resistive bridge circuit works by using Kirchhoff's laws to compare the voltage drop across the known resistors to the voltage drop across the unknown resistor. When the voltages are equal, the circuit is balanced and the unknown resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law.

3. What are the conditions for balancing a resistive bridge circuit?

The conditions for balancing a resistive bridge circuit are that the voltage across the known resistors must be equal, and the current through the known resistors must also be equal. This is achieved by adjusting the values of the known resistors until the circuit is balanced.

4. How do I calculate the unknown resistance in a balanced resistive bridge circuit?

To calculate the unknown resistance in a balanced resistive bridge circuit, you can use Ohm's law. Simply divide the voltage across the unknown resistor by the current through the known resistors to find the resistance value.

5. What are some practical applications of resistive bridge circuits?

Resistive bridge circuits have a variety of practical applications, including in strain gauges, which measure changes in strain on objects such as bridges and buildings, and in temperature sensors, which use the change in resistance of a material with temperature to measure temperature changes. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits for signal conditioning and amplification.