Circuit problem with two voltage source

In summary: But, it should be 10+14/6 = 4So, the emf = 4 * 4 = 16 VThe internal resistance is (4+6)//4 = 4/3 ohmSo, the voltage across R1 (between A and B) = 16 * 4/7= 9.143 VIn summary, The Thevenin voltage between point A and B is 16 V and the equivalent resistance is 4/3 ohm. Therefore, the voltage across resistor R1 is 9.143 V.
terryds

Homework Statement

inu1s2.jpg

R1 = 2 ohms
R2 = 4 ohms
R3 = 6 ohms

E1 = 10 V
E2 = 14 V

What is the voltage between point A and B ?
A. 0.18 V
B. 0.98 V
C. 1.34 V
D. 1.64 V
E. 3.28 V

Homework Equations

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried using KVL
I assume that both mesh currents will go in clock-wise direction.
x = current goes in lower mesh
y = current goes in upper mesh
So, the current that goes through AB or I3 is (x-y)

For the lower mesh,

E2 - I3R3 - x R1
14 - 6(x-y)-2x = 0

For the upper mesh,

4y - 10 - 6 (y-x) - 14 = 0

Solve for x and y..

x = 5.8 A
y = 5.4 A

So, the current goes through AB is 0.4 A

So,
Vb = 14 - 6 (0.4) = 11.6 V
Va = 11.6 - 2(5.8) = 0 V

So, I think Vab = Va - Vb = -11.6 V
But, it's not in the option..

However, this is the book answer

mr7l36.jpg

I have no idea what methods are used to solve this very quickly.
Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
4y - 10 - 6 (y-x) - 14 = 0
You need to reconsider this equation.

Generally, it is easier if you wait with inserting values until you have the final expression. It makes it much easier to follow what you are doing.

Orodruin said:
You need to reconsider this equation.

Generally, it is easier if you wait with inserting values until you have the final expression. It makes it much easier to follow what you are doing.

What's wrong with that equation??

Last edited:
terryds said:
What's wrong with that equation??

I'll update my first post
Try doing it again. Mark the direction of the assumed currents at each wire and follow the loops.

Orodruin said:
Try doing it again. Mark the direction of the assumed currents at each wire and follow the loops.

Alright. I try again.

For the lower mesh,

I start at point A and going clockwise

E2 - I3R3 - I1R1 = 0

E2 - (I1 - I2) R3 - I1R1 = 0

14 - 6 (I1 - I2) - 2 I1 = 0For the upper mesh,

I also start at point A and going clockwise

- I2R2 - E1 - (I2 - I1)R3 - E2 = 0
- 4 I2 - 10 - 6 (I2 - I1) - 14 = 0

(sorry, I made the mistake at this upper mesh equation)

Solving both equation :

I1 = -0.0909 A
I2 = -2.4545 A

which means that both current goes in counter-clockwise direction, right ? (since I assumed the currents are in clockwise)

I3 = I1-I2 = 2.3636 A

Vab = Vb- Va = I1R11 = 0.0909 A * 2 ohms = 0.1818 V
Thanks for help!

Anyway, what's the name of method my book using? It's so simple and I'd like to learn about it.
Indeed, using calculator is not allowed in the test so I need to know better methods to solve this.

Last edited:
terryds said:
Anyway, what's the name of method my book using? It's so simple and I'd like to learn about it.
Indeed, using calculator is not allowed in the test so I need to know better methods to solve this.
It is Thevenin's theorem. The upper part of the circuit between A and B (with R1 removed) is replaced with a voltage source with emf equal to the open-circuit voltage between A and B and the equivalent resistance RAB, when the sources are replaced with shorts.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/thevenin.html

Likes terryds
ehild said:
It is Thevenin's theorem. The upper part of the circuit between A and B (with R1 removed) is replaced with a voltage source with emf equal to the open-circuit voltage between A and B and the equivalent resistance RAB, when the sources are replaced with shorts.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/thevenin.html

Alright, I'm interested in this approach. I've just watched basics of Thevenin's theorem video.

It says that I should turn the 'mess' into a Thevenin voltage and a Thevenin resistor
In the video, it's asked to determine current, but in my question, it is voltage between A and B, so I'm a bit confused.

So, what is the 'mess' here? I can't decide if it's the upper part or the lower part.
Please help me.. The example of the video I watched is far easier than this problem

terryds said:
Alright, I'm interested in this approach. I've just watched basics of Thevenin's theorem video.

It says that I should turn the 'mess' into a Thevenin voltage and a Thevenin resistor
In the video, it's asked to determine current, but in my question, it is voltage between A and B, so I'm a bit confused.

So, what is the 'mess' here? I can't decide if it's the upper part or the lower part.
Please help me.. The example of the video I watched is far easier than this problem
It is the upper part. Ignore R1.

upload_2016-5-28_17-27-36.png
Determine the voltage Uo between A and B. That will be the emf of the Thevenin-equivalent voltage source. The internal resistance of the source is obtained if you connect A and B with a zero ohm wire and determine the current Is flowing through that "short". The internal resistance is Ri=Uo/Is. But it is the same as the equivalent resistance between A and B if you replace the batteries by shorts, (simple wires). When you know the emf and internal resistance of the Thevenin-equivalent source, you need connect the resistor R1 to its terminals, and find the voltage across it.

ehild said:
It is the upper part. Ignore R1.

View attachment 101347Determine the voltage Uo between A and B. That will be the emf of the Thevenin-equivalent voltage source. The internal resistance of the source is obtained if you connect A and B with a zero ohm wire and determine the current Is flowing through that "short". The internal resistance is Ri=Uo/Is. But it is the same as the equivalent resistance between A and B if you replace the batteries by shorts, (simple wires). When you know the emf and internal resistance of the Thevenin-equivalent source, you need connect the resistor R1 to its terminals, and find the voltage across it.
2m6u881.jpg

Alright, This is what I've done.

I just know how to find the current that loops through the upper part.

But, I don't know how to find the emf (Thevenin-voltage). Please help

EDIT : I made a mistake

The current should be 10+14/(4+6) = 2.4 A

Last edited:
terryds said:
The current should be 10+14/(4+6) = 2.4 A
Yes, it is the current that flows through the resistors, anti-clockwise. Consider the potential zero at A. What is the potential at B?

ehild said:
Yes, it is the current that flows through the resistors, anti-clockwise. Consider the potential zero at A. What is the potential at B?

Since the current goes anti-clockwise, I think there will be potential rise across the 14V E2 and potential drop across 6 ohms resistor.

So, the potential will be = 14 - 2.4 * 6 = -0.4 V, right?

And, for the resistor, I changed all the voltage sources into a short circuit/wire.
Then, I get the resistance is equal to the parallel combination of 6 ohms and 4 ohms, which is 2.4 ohms.
Then, I reconnect the resistor R1 to the Thevenin circuit. So, the voltage across the R1 is 0.4 * 2 / (2 + 2.4) = 0.18 V
Thanks for helping me through this

But, I'm still confused about one thing.
The problem asks about the potential between point A and B.
Why the answer is not 0.4 V which is the potential difference between point A and B ?
Why we instead find the potential across R1 resistor ??

And, one more question ._.
Why the book approach in finding the Thevenin emf is just (E1 R3 - E2R2)/(E3-R2)? It seems like a mean(average-value), but why it substracts?
Both E1 and E2 are running currents in the same direction (anti-clockwise), but why it substracts in the book approach? Or, is there a theorem about this?
Please help

Last edited:
terryds said:
Since the current goes anti-clockwise, I think there will be potential rise across the 14V E2 and potential drop across 6 ohms resistor.

And, for the resistor, I changed all the voltage sources into a short circuit/wire.
Then, I get the resistance is equal to the parallel combination of 6 ohms and 4 ohms, which is 2.4 ohms.
Then, I reconnect the resistor R1 to the Thevenin circuit. So, the voltage across the R1 is 0.4 * 2 / (2 + 2.4) = 0.18 V
That looks good!

Why the answer is not 0.4 V which is the potential difference between point A and B ?
Don't forget about the Thevenin resistor in series with the v0.4V source.
Why the book approach in finding the Thevenin emf is just (E1 R3 - E2R2)/(R3 + R2)? It seems like a mean(average-value), but why it substracts?
Both E1 and E2 are running currents in the same direction (anti-clockwise), but why it substracts in the book approach? Or, is there a theorem about this?
Please help
Slight typo (corrected in red.)

In relation to points A and B, E1 and E2 are in opposite directions.

Likes terryds
SammyS said:
That looks good!

Don't forget about the Thevenin resistor in series with the v0.4V source.
Slight typo (corrected in red.)

In relation to points A and B, E1 and E2 are in opposite directions.

Can the potential difference between point A and point B be I2R2 + E1 ?? (if we refer to the upper part)

Last edited:
terryds said:
Can the potential difference between point A and point B be I2R2 + E1 ?? (if we refer to the upper part)
Try it & see.

SammyS said:
Try it & see.

Yes, it can.. Thanks

Likes SammyS
terryds said:

It is the potential difference between B and A.
terryds said:

0.4 V was the voltage without load, the emf of the Thevenin source. If you connect the resistor R1, the current flowing will cause potential drop across the internal resistor and the voltage on R1 becomes less than the emf. It happens every time you load a voltage source. The terminal voltage is always less than the emf.
terryds said:
Why the book approach in finding the Thevenin emf is just (E1 R3 - E2R2)/(E3-R2)? It seems like a mean(average-value), but why it substracts?
Please help
You would get the same formula if you did the derivation symbolically. I=(E1+E2)/(R3+R2) , UAB=E1-R2I or UAB=R3I-E2. Bring to common denominator and simplify.

Likes terryds
terryds said:
I have no idea what methods are used to solve this very quickly.
Please help

Have you considered applying nodal analysis (KCL) rather than loop analysis?

A very quick solution can be obtained if you apply nodal analysis. If you choose the reference node to be B then A is the only essential node. That means you can solve for the potential at A with respect to B using a single node equation.

gneill said:
Have you considered applying nodal analysis (KCL) rather than loop analysis?

A very quick solution can be obtained if you apply nodal analysis. If you choose the reference node to be B then A is the only essential node. That means you can solve for the potential at A with respect to B using a single node equation.

##\frac{V_b-E_1}{R_2} = \frac{V_b-E_2}{R_3+R_1} \\
\frac{(V_b-10)}{4} = \frac{(V_b-14)}{8}##

But, I get ##V_b## equals to 6 V.
Sorry, I'm bad at nodal analysis. Please help

terryds said:
##\frac{V_b-E_1}{R_2} = \frac{V_b-E_2}{R_3+R_1} \\
\frac{(V_b-10)}{4} = \frac{(V_b-14)}{8}##

But, I get ##V_b## equals to 6 V.
Sorry, I'm bad at nodal analysis. Please help
There are three branches between nodes A and B (Don't forget the R1 branch!), so your equation will contain three terms, one for each branch leaving node A. Re-drawing your circuit to show the reference node as B:
upload_2016-5-29_11-44-29.png

You want to find the potential at node A. Write your equation in the form ##\sum ~ I = 0##.

Related to Circuit problem with two voltage source

1. How do I determine the total voltage in a circuit with two voltage sources?

In a circuit with two voltage sources, the total voltage can be found by using Kirchhoff's voltage law. This law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. So, you can simply add the two voltages together to find the total voltage in the circuit.

2. Can I connect two voltage sources in series?

Yes, you can connect two voltage sources in series by connecting the positive terminal of one source to the negative terminal of the other source. This will result in a total voltage that is equal to the sum of the individual voltages.

3. What happens if I connect two voltage sources in parallel?

If you connect two voltage sources in parallel, the sources will work against each other and can lead to a short circuit. This can cause damage to the circuit and should be avoided.

4. How do I calculate the current in a circuit with two voltage sources?

To calculate the current in a circuit with two voltage sources, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. So, if you know the total voltage and the total resistance in the circuit, you can calculate the current using this formula.

5. Can I have two voltage sources with different voltages in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have two voltage sources with different voltages in the same circuit. However, this can lead to complex calculations and potentially cause issues such as voltage drops or short circuits. It is important to carefully plan and analyze the circuit before adding multiple voltage sources.