Circuit analysis is this correct?

In summary, the problem involves using the nodal potential method to find the potential across a 12 Ohm resistor. The equations used are KVL and the attempt at a solution involves writing potential equations for the two nodes and using substitution to solve for Va and Vb. However, there seems to be a missing equation and the student's tutor suggests using V(1/6+1/1+1/2)-4(1/1+1/6)=3V1 to solve for the current through the 1 Ohm resistor.
Questions999

Homework Statement

We have the problem in the figure.I have to find the potential across 12 Ohm using nod potential method.
pmowIwB.jpg

Homework Equations

Nod potential method,KVL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I write the potential for the nod a and I have (Va-Vb)/4 + Va/2= 2A (1)
I write the potential for the nod b (Vb - Va)/4 +Vb + Vb/2=3 V1 (2)
V1 = Va so for the (1) equation I multiply both sides with 4 and I have 3Va- Vb=8
For the (2),after I replace V1=Va and I have 13Va+ 7 Vb=0 . I put the (1) in the (2) and I have Va=7 and Vb=13 so ib=(7-13)/4 =-3/2...I don't know how to find ia..my tutor says that there's a missing equation and he wrote V(1/6+1/1+1/2)-4(1/1+1/6)=3V1 but I don't get this :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a 12 Ω resistor in your circuit or in your analysis attempt.

In your equation for the second node, for the current through the 1 Ω resistor you've failed to take into account that the resistor terminates in a potential of 4V, not at ground.

oh sorry,I have to find the potential across the resistor 4 Ohm...

Related to Circuit analysis is this correct?

1. What is circuit analysis and why is it important?

Circuit analysis is the process of analyzing an electrical circuit to determine its behavior, such as current, voltage, and power. It is important because it allows us to predict how a circuit will function and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

2. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit are a power source, such as a battery or generator, conductors to carry the current, and loads, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that use the current to perform a specific task.

3. How do you perform circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis can be performed using various methods, such as Kirchhoff's Laws, Ohm's Law, and nodal and mesh analysis. These methods involve using mathematical equations and principles to calculate the behavior of the circuit.

4. Can circuit analysis be done for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, circuit analysis can be done for both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, the methods used may differ slightly depending on the type of circuit.

5. What are some common mistakes in circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes in circuit analysis include incorrect application of mathematical equations, incorrect labeling of components, and forgetting to account for the internal resistance of a power source. It is important to double-check all calculations and carefully label all components to avoid these mistakes.