Circuit Analysis (Equation) with Multiple Voltage Sources

In summary: It would mean you have to start the whole process over again and solve for IK for the -ve current case.
ThLiOp

Homework Statement

Derive the differential equation that relates the voltage (V) to the current (I) entering the circuit.
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 11.29.49 AM.png

Homework Equations

Let:

ic = C dV/dt = current traveling through the capacitor (C)
ik = (V+Ek) / Rk = current traveling through the potassium (K) channel
iNa = (V-ENa) / RNa = current traveling through the sodium (Na) channel
iCl = (V+ECl) / RCl = current traveling thought the chlorine (Cl) channel

I = ic + ik + iNa + iCl = total current

The Attempt at a Solution

I = ic + ik + iNa + iCl
I = C dV/dt + (V+Ek) / Rk + (V-ENa) / RNa + (V+ECl) / RCl

My confusion is from the signs of the batteries. What is the convention (or physical meaning) when you are subtracting the voltages. For example, in the potassium (K) channel, it is V - (-Ek); while in the sodium (Na) channel, the signs on the battery are reversed. How do I know when a voltage source is positive or negative in relation to the current flow?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look correct.

The voltage polarities are usually given. They are usually the consequence of some physical (generator) or chemical (battery) situation. When the current which is conventionally considered a positive charge flow is taken from the negative side of a voltage source to the positive side the voltage drop is taken as negative while if the current is "flowing" from positive to negative the voltage drop is taken as positive

ThLiOp said:
My confusion is from the signs of the batteries. What is the convention (or physical meaning) when you are subtracting the voltages. For example, in the potassium (K) channel, it is V - (-Ek); while in the sodium (Na) channel, the signs on the battery are reversed. How do I know when a voltage source is positive or negative in relation to the current flow?

You didn't say how you arrived at your equations for Ik, INA and ICL?

One way is to use KVL. KVL states that the voltages around a loop sum to zero. However before you can apply KVL you have to define which direction you mean by +ve current. Let's do KVL for the potassium channel...

First I arbitrarily define +ve IK as current flowing down through Rk.
Then I arbitrarily decide to sum the voltages around the loop clockwise and get...

V + (-IkRk) + EK = 0

Rearrange and you get..

IK = (EK + V)/RK

which is the same as you got.

The essential thing is to mark the diagram with arrows showing your definition of +ve current at the outset and stick to it when you write the equations. It doesn't matter which direction you choose as +ve just as long as you are consistent when you write the equations. eg If you assume +ve is down through RK then there will be a voltage drop in RK when you travel clockwise summing the voltages. That's why I wrote -IkRk. If I had defined +ve current as flowing up through RK then I would have written +IkRk in the equation.

In short it doesn't matter which direction you choose as +ve current flow OR which way around a loop you sum the voltages as long as you are consistent. It all comes out in the wash.

Try it for the other branches.

PS Your equations are correct if you defined +ve current flow as down through the relevant resistor. Suppose you solved all the equations and one came out as -ve. What would that mean if you haven't defined which direction is +ve?

Related to Circuit Analysis (Equation) with Multiple Voltage Sources

1. How do I calculate the total voltage in a circuit with multiple voltage sources?

The total voltage in a circuit with multiple voltage sources can be calculated by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). This law states that the algebraic sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the algebraic sum of the voltage sources in that loop. Simply add all the voltage sources in the circuit and subtract the voltage drops to find the total voltage.

2. Can I apply Ohm's Law to a circuit with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, Ohm's Law can still be applied to a circuit with multiple voltage sources. However, the resistance used in the equation would be the equivalent resistance of the circuit, which takes into account the effects of all the voltage sources in the circuit.

3. How do I analyze the current flow in a circuit with multiple voltage sources?

The current flow in a circuit with multiple voltage sources can be analyzed by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). This law states that the algebraic sum of the currents entering and leaving a node (junction) in a circuit must equal zero. By applying this law to each node in the circuit, you can determine the current flow in each branch of the circuit.

4. Can I simplify a circuit with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, it is possible to simplify a circuit with multiple voltage sources by using techniques such as series and parallel combinations. This involves finding equivalent resistances and voltage sources to reduce the complexity of the circuit.

5. What happens if the voltage sources in a circuit have different polarities?

If the voltage sources in a circuit have different polarities, they will create opposing voltage drops. This means that the total voltage in the circuit may be less than the sum of the individual voltage sources. It is important to take into account the polarities when analyzing a circuit with multiple voltage sources.