Circle radius 2 oriented counterclockwise

In summary, "circle radius 2 oriented counterclockwise" refers to a circle with a radius of 2 units that is being traced in a counterclockwise direction. This can be seen in real-world examples such as a spinning wheel, carousel, and record player, where the objects are rotating in a counterclockwise direction. To calculate the circumference of a circle with a radius of 2, you can use the formula C = 2πr, and to find the area, you can use A = πr^2. The orientation of a circle is determined by the direction it is being traced, with counterclockwise being one of the possible orientations.
Dustinsfl
gamma is a circle of radius 2, centered at the origin, and oriented counterclockwise

$\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} =\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{(z+i)(z-i)}=\frac{1}{2}\int_{\gamma}\frac{\frac{1}{z-i}}{z-(-i)}dz+\int_{\gamma}\frac{\frac{1}{z+i}}{z-i}dz = 4\pi i\left(\frac{1}{-2i}+\frac{1}{2i}\right) = 0$Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
gamma is a circle of radius 2, centered at the origin, and oriented counterclockwise

$\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} =\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{(z+i)(z-i)}=\frac{1}{2}\int_{\gamma}\frac{\frac{1}{z-i}}{z-(-i)}dz+\int_{\gamma}\frac{\frac{1}{z+i}}{z-i}dz = 4\pi i\left(\frac{1}{-2i}+\frac{1}{2i}\right) = 0$ Is this correct?

Right. Only minor mistakes:

$\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} =\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{(z+i)(z-i)}=\frac{1}{2}\;\left(\int_{\gamma}\frac{\frac{1}{z-i}}{z-(-i)}dz+\int_{\gamma}\frac{\frac{1}{z+i}}{z-i}dz\right) = \frac{1}{2}\cdot 2\pi i\;\left(\frac{1}{-2i}+\frac{1}{2i}\right) = 0$

Yes, this is correct. The integral evaluates to 0 because the function has two poles at z = i and z = -i, both of which are inside the circle of radius 2. Therefore, by Cauchy's Integral Theorem, the integral around the entire circle is equal to 0.

Related to Circle radius 2 oriented counterclockwise

1. What does "circle radius 2 oriented counterclockwise" mean?

The term "circle radius 2 oriented counterclockwise" refers to a circle with a radius of 2 units that is being traced in a counterclockwise direction. This is often used in geometry to describe the orientation of a circle or other shape.

2. How do you calculate the circumference of a circle with a radius of 2?

To calculate the circumference of a circle with a radius of 2, you can use the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius. Plugging in the value of 2 for r, we get C = 2π(2) = 4π units.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle with a radius of 2?

The formula for finding the area of a circle with a radius of 2 is A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius. Substituting the value of 2 for r, we get A = π(2)^2 = 4π square units.

4. How is the orientation of a circle determined?

The orientation of a circle is determined by the direction it is being traced. A circle can be oriented clockwise or counterclockwise based on the direction of its rotation. In this case, "circle radius 2 oriented counterclockwise" means that the circle is being traced in a counterclockwise direction.

5. What are some real-world examples of a circle with a radius of 2 oriented counterclockwise?

A spinning wheel, a carousel, and the motion of a record player are all examples of real-world objects that can be described as a circle with a radius of 2 oriented counterclockwise. In these cases, the objects are rotating in a counterclockwise direction, creating a circular shape with a radius of 2.