Circle in the Complex Domain where Mean is not the Centre

In summary, a function involving complex variables and t has been discussed, which results in a circle in the complex domain when t is varied. This function is known as a Mobius transformation and it has been previously studied. The mean value of x can be found by determining the points a and b on the circle.
electronicengi
Hello people of Physics Forums,

In my research into transmission lines, I have come across the following function:

x = ( a - i * b * tan(t) ) / ( c - i * d * tan(t) )

In the above equation x, a, b, c and d are complex and t is real. If my analysis is correct, varying t from -pi/2 to pi/2 will yield a circle in the complex domain that intersects the points a/c and b/d.

I would like to know more about this type of function. Has it been studied before? If so, does it have some sort of special name that I can look up in a mathematics textbook to learn more about it? In particular, I am interested in finding the "average" value of x; does a closed form solution (in terms of a, b, c and d) exist if one integrates x from t = -pi/2 to pi/2?

Thank you in advance.

electronicengi

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person
Excellent. Looks like I will be doing a little bit of reading up on the Mobius transformation.

Does anyone know how to find (if possible) a closed form solution for the mean value of x?

electronicengi said:
Excellent. Looks like I will be doing a little bit of reading up on the Mobius transformation.

Does anyone know how to find (if possible) a closed form solution for the mean value of x?

No, but I think the following should be true:
Let ##a = T(0)##, let ##b = T(i\pi/2) + T(-i\pi/2)##. Then the mean value lies on the line through ##a## and ##b##.

Likes 1 person

Hello electronicengi,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. It is interesting to see a circle in the complex domain where the mean is not the center. This function does not seem to have a specific name, but it falls under the category of rational functions in the complex domain.

In terms of previous studies, there has been research on the behavior of complex rational functions and their geometric properties. Some studies have also looked at the behavior of these functions on the Riemann sphere, which is a one-point compactification of the complex plane.

As for finding the average value of x, it is possible to calculate it by integrating the function over the given range. However, it may not have a closed-form solution in terms of a, b, c, and d. This would depend on the specific values of these parameters and the properties of the function.

I suggest looking into books on complex analysis and rational functions for more information on this topic. It is an interesting area of study and I hope your research leads to further insights. Good luck!

Related to Circle in the Complex Domain where Mean is not the Centre

1. What is a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre?

A circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre is a geometric shape in the complex plane that has a center point that is not the average of all the points on the circle. This means that the points on the circle are not evenly distributed around the center point.

2. How is a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre different from a regular circle?

A regular circle has a center point that is the average of all the points on the circle, while a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre has a center point that is not the average. Additionally, the points on a regular circle are evenly distributed around the center point, while the points on a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre may be clustered or unevenly distributed.

3. What causes a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre?

A circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre is caused by a non-uniform distribution of points around the center point. This could be due to various factors such as an uneven sampling of data, the presence of outliers, or the influence of other variables.

4. How is a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre relevant in scientific research?

In scientific research, a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre may indicate a non-uniform distribution of data or the presence of outliers. This can be important in understanding the underlying patterns or trends in the data and may lead to further investigation or analysis.

5. Can a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre be transformed into a regular circle?

No, a circle in the complex domain where mean is not the centre cannot be transformed into a regular circle. The distribution of points on the circle is determined by the data and cannot be changed. However, the circle can be analyzed and interpreted in its current form to gain insights into the underlying data.