Choosing the Right Coupling Capacitor: Factors to Consider

In summary, a blocking capacitor is important for a circuit that operates at a particular frequency. The capacitance should be chosen according to the corner frequency.
Grim Arrow
How do I determine the value of a blocking capacitor for say this circuit:
common-emitter-RC-coupled-amplifier.png

What I mean is, sure Cin must behave like a short circuit at working frequency, but something tells me there is more to the choice of a coupling capacitor than this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Grim Arrow said:
...something tells me there is more to the choice of a coupling capacitor than this.
IMO not a lot! Price, physical size, reliability - which tend to favour small, non-electrolytic devices.
You don't need (and can't get) a short cct, so you can calculate how low you need to go to get the frequency response you need. If you make the capacitance too large, you may get irritating issues with it charging to quiescent DC levels at switch on. Low enough is low enough.

Grim Arrow said:
How do I determine the value of a blocking capacitor for say this circuit:

circuit operating frequency is the main criteria
audio freqs -- 1uF to ~ 15uF electrolytics would be very commonly used

At RF, a whole different ball game and cap values at different freq ranges ( bands) becomes more critical
could be anything from 100's of pF @ HF 3 - 30MHz to a few pF at freq's over 1000 MHz (1GHz)Dave

Are there any particular formulas?

Screenshot_2016-09-07-15-57-19.png

I found this in a site called "Learningaboutelectronics" and it says I can use this table to choose a coupling cap for my frequency needs. This sure solves some of my problems, but I need to know how they got these values.

Grim Arrow said:
What I mean is, sure Cin must behave like a short circuit at working frequency, but something tells me there is more to the choice of a coupling capacitor than this.

If you replace the transistor and all it's biasing components with a resistor equal to the input impedance then you essentially end up with a high pass circuit like this..

High-pass-filter-diagram2.png

Choose C to set the corner frequency.

Likes Grim Arrow and jim hardy
CWatters said:
If you replace the transistor and all it's biasing components with a resistor equal to the input impedance then you essentially end up with a high pass circuit like this..

High-pass-filter-diagram2.png

Choose C to set the corner frequency.
Thanks!

Grim Arrow said:
Are there any particular formulas?
Yes, there is. The corner frequency is equal to Fc = 1/(2*Π*R*C)≈ 0.16/(R*C). The frequency at which R = Xc
C is the capacitance of a capacitor and the R is the resistance "seen" by capacitor The effective resistance that will discharge the capacitor.
So for Cin we have Cin ≈ 0.16/(Rs + Rin*Fc), Ce ≈ 0.16/(1/gm * Fc), Cout ≈ 0.16/(Rc+RL*Fc)

Rs - is a signal source resistance
Rin - the amplifier input resistance ≈ R1||R2||(β*1/gm )
gm - the BJT transconductance gm ≈ Ic/26mV ≈ 40*Ic

Likes Grim Arrow
Jony130 said:
Yes, there is. The corner frequency is equal to Fc = 1/(2*Π*R*C)≈ 0.16/(R*C). The frequency at which R = Xc
C is the capacitance of a capacitor and the R is the resistance "seen" by capacitor The effective resistance that will discharge the capacitor.
So for Cin we have Cin ≈ 0.16/(Rs + Rin*Fc), Ce ≈ 0.16/(1/gm * Fc), Cout ≈ 0.16/(Rc+RL*Fc)

Rs - is a signal source resistance
Rin - the amplifier input resistance ≈ R1||R2||(β*1/gm )
gm - the BJT transconductance gm ≈ Ic/26mV ≈ 40*Ic
Thanks! And the input resistance is given by R1||R2 + the transistor's input resistance(Ube/Ib)?

Grim Arrow said:
And the input resistance is given by R1||R2 + the transistor's input resistance(Ube/Ib)?
Yes.

Likes Grim Arrow
Jony130 said:
Yes.
Thanks once again!

Related to Choosing the Right Coupling Capacitor: Factors to Consider

1. What is a coupling capacitor?

A coupling capacitor is an electronic component used in circuits to transfer only the AC signal between two or more circuits while blocking any DC component. It is used to connect different stages of an amplifier or other electronic devices.

2. Why is the value of a coupling capacitor important?

The value of a coupling capacitor determines the amount of AC signal that is allowed to pass through. A smaller value will allow only high-frequency signals to pass, while a larger value will allow lower-frequency signals to pass. This affects the overall frequency response of the circuit and can impact the performance of the device.

3. How is the value of a coupling capacitor calculated?

The value of a coupling capacitor is calculated based on the desired frequency response of the circuit. It is determined by the equation C = 1/(2πfR), where C is the capacitance in Farads, f is the desired cutoff frequency in Hertz, and R is the resistance of the circuit in Ohms.

4. What happens if the coupling capacitor's value is too small?

If the coupling capacitor's value is too small, it will block a significant portion of the AC signal and result in a reduced overall signal level. This can lead to distortion of the output signal, affecting the quality of the device's performance.

5. Can the value of a coupling capacitor be changed?

Yes, the value of a coupling capacitor can be changed to alter the frequency response of the circuit. However, it is important to make sure that the new value is within the appropriate range and does not cause any negative effects on the performance of the device.