Choosing the Correct Solution for Velocity: Balloon and Stone Experiment

• Thread starter rudransh verma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary: The problem statement does not mention the stone at all, so we cannot assume it has not been dropped yet. The only thing we know is that at time t = 4.5 sec, the balloon is ascending at a uniform velocity. In summary, the problem is asking for the values of t and a to be chosen, given the formula 4.5u = u4.5 + (1/2)a4.5^2 and the fact that the stone is dropped at t = 4.5 sec. The confusion lies in the fact that the acceleration, a, is set to -g, despite the balloon not accelerating. However, this is because gravity is always operating, and the net force is zero, resulting
rudransh verma said:
Ok! So the displacement is given by ##s=ut-\frac12gt^2## or ##s={v_{avg}}t##. Here it’s first eqn. So the relationship is ##-4.5u=7u-\frac12gt^2##. Thanks
I want to know when is this eqn (##s=ut+\frac12at^2##) generally used and what does the right side of this eqn tell?
The right hand side is displacement under constant acceleration ##a## and initial velocity ##u##. Since velocity is then given by ##v = u + at##, the average velocity between time 0 and ##t## is the average between ##u## and ##u + at##, in other words,
$$
v_{\rm avg} = \frac{u + (u+at)}{2} = u + \frac{at}2,
$$
leading to
$$
s = v_{\rm avg} t = ut + \frac{at^2}2.
$$

Likes rudransh verma
Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
The right hand side is displacement under constant acceleration a and initial velocity u.
Then the first eqn tell the final velocity under constant a and initial velocity u.
And the third tell final velocity under constant acceleration and displacement and initial velocity u. Right?

Thank you for the information, it was quite useful

These problems always become a lot clearer if one picks an origin and direction of the positive axis and applies it consistently to all parts of the problem. Drawing a little diagram always helps me. It seems to me there is a tendency for students to ignore the setup and dive right into using the formulas before thinking through this. In this case if ##s## is the height where positive is up, the obvious choice for the ground plane is ##s=0##. In general using the notation in this thread, the complete equation is $$s = s_0 + u_0t + \frac {1}{2} a {t}^2$$ Don't ignore the initial position ##s_0##. It is easiest to separate this into two parts . The first part when the stone is lifted by the balloon where ##0 < t < t_1##. Because ##s_0=0## and ##a=0## we have at ##t_1##; $$s_1 = u_0 t_1 $$ and the second part when the stone falls where ##0 < t< t_2##. Because ##a=-g## we have; $$s_2 = s_{2_0} + u _{0} t - \frac {1}{2} g {t}^2$$ Note that we reset the clock for each part. We must apply this at ##t=t_2##. The key is figuring out what is ##s_{2_0}## and what is ##s_2## at ##t_2##?

Last edited:
@Orodruin what is final velocity? Using eqn ##v^2=u^2+2as## I am getting ##\sqrt(435.9-1842.4)##.
Also look into my post#37

rudransh verma said:
@Orodruin what is final velocity? Using eqn ##v^2=u^2+2as## I am getting ##\sqrt(435.9-1842.4)##.
If I may chip in...

Presumably you are using ‘upwards is positive’.

If you want to use ##v^2=u^2+2as##, note that the displacement, ##s##, is negative because the final position of the stone is below its point of release.

Since ##a## is also negative (##a = -|g| = -9.8m/s^2##) that means ##2as## will be positive. So
"##\sqrt(435.9-1842.4)##”
is wrong and should be
##\sqrt(435.9+1842.4)##
(assuming your figures are correct).

Of course, the easy way is to use ##v=u+at##!

Steve4Physics said:
is wrong and should be
(435.9+1842.4)
(assuming your figures are correct).

Of course, the easy way is to use v=u+at!
But v should come -ve not +ve.

rudransh verma said:
But v should come -ve not +ve.
If using ##v^2=u^2+2as## then ##v=±\sqrt{u^2+2as}##. You have to choose which solution (+ or -) is physically applicable.

If using ##v = u+at## you will automtically get the correct sign for v.

Steve4Physics said:
If using ##v^2=u^2+2as## then ##v=±\sqrt{u^2+2as}##. You have to choose which solution (+ or -) is physically applicable.

If using ##v = u+at## you will automtically get the correct sign for v.
It completely slipped from my mind. Thanks.